Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clunking noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has any one experienced a periodic clunking noise that occurs when the air/heat is on and you are just sitting(at a charger for instance)? It goes away if I turn off the air/heat.

Yes, it was a fault in the 3way valve for the coolant system. By the time I got it in for a service appt the fault was gone and it was working normally again with no intermittent clunk noise anymore.

This happened with my 2013 s85, has never happend with my 2014 s85 and no it is not normal behavior.

Yes, it was a fault in the 3way valve for the coolant system. By the time I got it in for a service appt the fault was gone and it was working normally again with no intermittent clunk noise anymore.

This happened with my 2013 s85, has never happend with my 2014 s85 and no it is not normal behavior.
Ok so you know for a fact it's not normal? Please provide us with the information that proves it's not normal

Ok so you know for a fact it's not normal? Please provide us with the information that proves it's not normal

/sigh

ok, when I got the 2013 car last year it had the clunk sound, I am good with my local ranger so he did a deeper dive on it for me and found it was a fault in the 3way valve for the coolant system, it was flagged in the car but not visible to the user. By the time I got it in for a full service a few months after the clunk sound had stopped literally as I was driving to the service center and has since not returned, the fault was also gone by the time I got in for service so they did nothing for it. My 2014 car has never had a clunk sound when running AC ever and no it would not be 'normal' this is not loud compressor due to insufficient sound damping with an early car, this was a distinct clunk sound that only occured while the AC was running and was not at a steady interval but anywhere from once per min to once in 3 min.

/sigh

ok, when I got the 2013 car last year it had the clunk sound, I am good with my local ranger so he did a deeper dive on it for me and found it was a fault in the 3way valve for the coolant system, it was flagged in the car but not visible to the user. By the time I got it in for a full service a few months after the clunk sound had stopped literally as I was driving to the service center and has since not returned, the fault was also gone by the time I got in for service so they did nothing for it. My 2014 car has never had a clunk sound when running AC ever and no it would not be 'normal' this is not loud compressor due to insufficient sound damping with an early car, this was a distinct clunk sound that only occured while the AC was running and was not at a steady interval but anywhere from once per min to once in 3 min.

/sigh

I'm well aware of the noise and where it comes from. Have you bothered to read the threads on this forum relating to this issue?

As an aside for this, after the issue disappeared and my service appt found nothing the AC unit has since died completely while I was on vacation in FL, service appt set for Feb 15th to fix it.