Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery delayed due to complete batter replacement - risks/issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My scheduled delivery of my Model 3 Standard Range Plus was apparently delayed the day before due to a recall or defect on a battery component, and instead of just the component being replaced, they are shipping an entirely new battery up to Vancouver from California, and doing a complete battery swap. My Delivery Advisor said that they could not release the car due to this defect, so I am glad they caught it in case it was a safety issue.

My concern is around watching how much work is required to replace the battery. Most of the interior and all the seats need to be taken out, and all the coolant has to be drained, and it looks like a major job. I don't mean to be dramatic, but it looks like the whole car is taken apart to get at the battery. See the article and video below:

Video: How To Remove The Tesla Model 3 Battery Pack | CleanTechnica

Will I be faced with the potential of scratches, damage to the interior and innards of the car, loose bolts or missing/broken clips and rattles that will evolve over time? This is supposed to be a brand new car of the lot, and this batter swap looks like an almost complete teardown and rebuild. However qualified the technicians might be, I bet they have done very few of these, and based on how busy the deliveries are I bet they are super slammed working long hours and behind in their tasks so I feel like quality may be an issue.

Talk me off the ledge guys - Should I be concerned? Anyone else had this done?

My scheduled delivery of my Model 3 Standard Range Plus was apparently delayed the day before due to a recall or defect on a battery component, and instead of just the component being replaced, they are shipping an entirely new battery up to Vancouver from California, and doing a complete battery swap. My Delivery Advisor said that they could not release the car due to this defect, so I am glad they caught it in case it was a safety issue.

My concern is around watching how much work is required to replace the battery. Most of the interior and all the seats need to be taken out, and all the coolant has to be drained, and it looks like a major job. I don't mean to be dramatic, but it looks like the whole car is taken apart to get at the battery. See the article and video below:

Video: How To Remove The Tesla Model 3 Battery Pack | CleanTechnica

Will I be faced with the potential of scratches, damage to the interior and innards of the car, loose bolts or missing/broken clips and rattles that will evolve over time? This is supposed to be a brand new car of the lot, and this batter swap looks like an almost complete teardown and rebuild. However qualified the technicians might be, I bet they have done very few of these, and based on how busy the deliveries are I bet they are super slammed working long hours and behind in their tasks so I feel like quality may be an issue.

Talk me off the ledge guys - Should I be concerned? Anyone else had this done?
It’s most likely the 12 volt battery replacement. Mine was replaced a month ago on a service notification. Not the High Voltage battery.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
If it were me, I would wait for a different car. That is a major job and as you said, scratches, rattles and loose nuts and bolts may be an issue. I would always wonder if there would be future issues popping up down the road. No way I would pay this much for a new car and have doubts. Some of the Tesla mechanics are not as skilled as I would hope for. Just wait a couple of more weeks and get a good one.

Myself and many others have had their HV battery replaced (though not on a brand new car before delivery) and haven't had any issues with rattles or other things being put back together correctly. It sounds like they're on top of things, get the car when it's ready, and enjoy your new ride.

Myself and many others have had their HV battery replaced (though not on a brand new car before delivery) and haven't had any issues with rattles or other things being put back together correctly. It sounds like they're on top of things, get the car when it's ready, and enjoy your new ride.
Our Long Range Dual Motor had a battery replacement just after delivery. Sole resulting issue was easily remedied: they forgot to reconnect the sonar sensors before giving it back, but they hooked them
up the next day. No rattles, no scratches, no damage to the interior.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Man, what a cliffhanger! Well for me anyway. My delivery was scheduled for Saturday afternoon, and it was not until Friday evening after 6:30 I got a call to let me know that my original car with the batter swap would not be ready, and they were going to provide me with an alternate vehicle with the same configuration. It all worked out well, I am very happy with the replacement vehicle and even happier to have the car finally. Definitely worth the wait!. Thanks for your input guys.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden