Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive unit 2014 P85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am Pleased to report my drive unit is being replaced 4 days before my 8-Year Powertrain warranty is due to expire, I took my Car to The Fresno SC and so far they have been great. ETA is a "few weeks" i hope to update this post with more positive information as i get the car back.

1 question is, even tho the warranty will be over will they actually warranty the new part from defects? say 90 days down the road its Dead or something along those lines will they take care of it?

Thanks,
Daniel

It is my understanding that Tesla warrantys though the initial warranty period only... so any failures beyond that (regardless of when 'new' parts were installed under warranty) would be subject to the original warranty only. You may have a good argument with them if you do experience a subsequent out-of-warranty failure, but be prepared for a fight and hope for a 'goodwill' post-warranty replacement.

That said, do you know if you are getting a brand-new replacement or a refurb? That would be my biggest concern.

Edit: How many miles on your drive unit? Is it the original? Was it a milling issue or ??

Hi Smc171,

The service guy said "new" but that could mean "new to you" so dunno. the original Drive Unit had 66,000 miles on it and the previous owner purchased the car with 26,0000 miles and stated the car always made that Noise (Milling noise).