Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drove by a Model 3 in the dark... taillights weren't on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure if anyone's ever spotted this before, but last Friday I was driving back home on the 403 at around 7~8pm and spotted a Model 3 with the taillights off. My understanding was that the lights automatically turn on or off depending on the outdoor lighting conditions? I didn't know you could actually turn it off if they are on at night...

Forgot to save the sentry mode clip of this, but has anyone else seen this happen? (And for curiosity sake, I zoomed into my car's 3D model to see if the taillights were on, and they appeared to be on, obviously not going to physically check while on the highway.)

wanche is right. I've parked and turned off the lights while I'm waiting for someone. After they get in, I put it in drive and the DRL's come on but not the normal driving headlights or tail lights. It's happened to me a couple of times and now I'm always checking to see that the setting is on auto. Getting to be a habit like when I ride my motorcycle and checking the turn signals since they don't turn off automatically.

wanche is right. I've parked and turned off the lights while I'm waiting for someone. After they get in, I put it in drive and the DRL's come on but not the normal driving headlights or tail lights. It's happened to me a couple of times and now I'm always checking to see that the setting is on auto. Getting to be a habit like when I ride my motorcycle and checking the turn signals since they don't turn off automatically.

You shouldn't have to check. When the lights are on there is a Green headlight icon. If its not there then the headlights are not on. Easy to see at a glance.

I did this two nights ago. Previously, I had turned off the lights before charging in a parking lot, and because the car shut itself off during the charge, the lights came on when I started driving again. So next time when I turned the lights off when I parked for 2 minutes, I "knew" that the car had my back, and would turn the lights on when we started moving again. Nope, not that time. Live and learn. :confused: