Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front badge coming off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently got my car ppf wrapped and then later at a different place ceramic coated (while getting my tint)—but today I noticed that the front badge wasn’t fully attached:

FB04E242-34B8-49FD-9A5B-929100BB5D63.jpeg

9DED2C3C-C09B-4B2F-BC55-2E9821EDD8FE.jpeg

Has anyone else noticed this after similar work—is it related to the wrapping/coating?

How can I go about fixing it?

Shouldnt be caused by PPF or ceramic coating if done right and even if either service removed the emblem and then reinstalled it (although that would be a dead giveaway of why its like that now if done wrong).

Now, before attempting to fix it, check with either shop if they

a. removed, reinstalled the front T
b. had the car sit under heater lamps, uv lamps (ceramic coat)
c. applied the PPF over or under the T emblem (PPF)

Worst thing you can do is jepordize the PPF by trying to adjust it IF the PPF goes over it.

If its under, consider having the shop remove and reinstall or outright remove (seems to be the latest craze).

• Informative
Reactions: LordMelkor
Did they apply new double stick tape to your original badge and then re-install it or did they put on a brand new badge ? Some shops will only install a new badge and other shops will re-install your old one or install a new one if you supply them with a new badge.

Did they apply new double stick tape to your original badge and then re-install it or did they put on a brand new badge ? Some shops will only install a new badge and other shops will re-install your old one or install a new one if you supply them with a new badge.

It looks like they may have applied new tape (and... thicker tape?) imperfectly to the existing badge when re-applying it (didn’t know they were going to remove it).

I didn’t give them a new badge which is why I think it’s probably the old one.

It looks like they may have applied new tape (and... thicker tape?) imperfectly to the existing badge when re-applying it (didn’t know they were going to remove it).

I didn’t give them a new badge which is why I think it’s probably the old one.

I would consider going back to the last shop that removed your badge and show them it is now lifting. Another option is to purchase a brand new badge at a SC and have the new one installed. I can't remember how much it was, but it was fairly reasonable. Another option would be to leave it off, which is what I did...

At first I was going to say that I can’t imagine the 2nd place who did your tint and ceramic would have taken the emblem off but then again since the coating has to be wiped off maybe they did to make it easier to wipe down. My installer did both my PPF and ceramic so the emblem was only removed once, I assumed mine was reused. Maybe removing it twice could be part of the problem? Kind of nice to stick with the same place to do both so as to avoid any confusion who worked on the car and may have caused a problem. The emblem shouldn’t be a big deal to replace and reapply though.

Both our cars have PPF and ceramic. Mine was both done at the same time. On my husband’s the ceramic was applied like a year later. Neither car has an issue with the badges coming off though. Same company did both paint protection products.

Another thought...I have no idea if it’s customary to take the badges off for ceramic work but knowing that if your car has ceramic applied, you can’t put PPF over it as it won’t adhere to the ceramic area. So maybe therein lies the answer about removing badges for ceramic work and reinstalling them???

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LordMelkor
Another thought...I have no idea if it’s customary to take the badges off for ceramic work but knowing that if your car has ceramic applied, you can’t put PPF over it as it won’t adhere to the ceramic area.

Right—I’ve heard things don’t stick well on top of ceramic coatings so I’m a little confused why they would remove it first. But another explanation is that their curing process may have caused it to come off as well. I left the car at the shop for a week and they said the coating had already fully cured, even though Modesta’s written material says it should take 2-3 weeks. So I wonder if they did some kind of heat treatment.

Anyway, from this thread it sounds like this is unusual, and so I’ve reached out to the Tint/Ceramic place to see what they can do. Guess I’ll have to wait until Monday to hear back. I’m 90% sure that the badge was doing Okay post PPF.

I’ve been told that the Ceramic Pro we had applied would be essentially cured in two days (important not to get wet before then) and it would continue to harden days after that. Sitting in the sun would help it along. Could very well been helped along by use of lamps.

I know if you’ve had your car ceramic coated and then want to apply PPF/HOV decals to it, our detailer said they could remove the ceramic in that area (but it’s more work on their part to do that and not sure all of what is involved in the process) and then apply the PPF/HOV decals and then reapply ceramic over it.

Last edited:
My front emblem was removed for full frontal PPF and ceramic. I brought a new one for him to install. It was $35 CDN. He suggested it looked better without. I left it off and I’m happy I did. Left the rear ‘T’ on (for now). No other badging. I may even lose the chrome MODEL 3 licence plate frame that came with it.