Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Futureproofing on used MX?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I am in the market and very close to purchasing a used model X from the tesla inventory. My dilemma is that I plan on keeping the car for 2-4 years and then potentially upgrading to a newer model.

I am looking at 2016 models and wondering if I should purchase one with FSD or one with just AP2. I think the current cost to upgrade to FSD is at 7k, so considering that I am looking to upgrade in a few years, will purchasing one with FSD "futureproof" my model x and help retain a higher value in a few years than one without FSD?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

If you want some sort of futureproofing with a used Model X, you need one with AP2 with a build date of 10/16 or better. If the used X has AP2 hardware with no AP purchased, then I believe the cost is around 7K to get to FSD. If it has enhanced autopilot, upgrade to FSD is 4K at the moment and subject to change. IMO, I would not purchase a AP1 vehicle. What is getting a little sketchy is if AP2 will get HW3 upgrade to enable it to FSD. There is some doubt now to HW3 upgrade. Elon stated those who purchased FSD will get a free HW3 upgrade and referenced AP2 as part of that group. So to play it safe with a used 16' X, find one with HW2 and FSD included. If it doesn't have FSD, get it in writing that purchasing FSD at pickup will get you a free HW3 upgrade. These days I trust no ones word, get everything in writing! Good luck with your search, Model X is my favorite tesla!

Reactions: Itsuo-DC
Thanks Byegas, 90% close to purchasing a 2016 with AP2, but tempted to just spend a little extra for a 2016 w/FSD and just be done with it and not have to worry about selling without FSD or spending the extra $$$ next year, which I am suspecting will be more mature and accepted in 2-3 years.

No problem MrTomP,

I purchased my 16’ X with the same intentions. It came with enhanced autopilot and I purchased FSD soon after to secure my free HW3 upgrade. I just looked at Ev-CPO and all HW2 X’s are almost gone or if they are available, they are at an increased price close to new vehicle. So already seeing some value with HW2. If I sold mine today, I feel imo it would sell for more that I paid for it. My vehicle performs and looks brand new and when FSD is released, I could generate income with it. 4year/50k warranty and free supercharging also adds to the value. Just some extra points for you to look at. You will love not spending full price and also getting 95% of the features a brand new vehicle has.

No problem MrTomP,

I purchased my 16’ X with the same intentions. It came with enhanced autopilot and I purchased FSD soon after to secure my free HW3 upgrade. I just looked at Ev-CPO and all HW2 X’s are almost gone or if they are available, they are at an increased price close to new vehicle. So already seeing some value with HW2. If I sold mine today, I feel imo it would sell for more that I paid for it. My vehicle performs and looks brand new and when FSD is released, I could generate income with it. 4year/50k warranty and free supercharging also adds to the value. Just some extra points for you to look at. You will love not spending full price and also getting 95% of the features a brand new vehicle has.

Thanks Byegas, just to confirm, if i can secure an 16' X with AP2, then the upgrade to FSD is only 4k, which also guarantees HW3? Also, I am assuming when you reference HW3, you also mean AP3? Lastly, i read in a few places that the late 16s with AP2 should be able to get the upgrades to MCU2, do you know true that really is, or is that I should try to getvin writing also?

Hi MrTomP,

Yes as of right now it’s 4K to upgrade from HW2 enhanced Autopilot to FSD. HW3 is the new computer Tesla is now installing on all new vehicles and will eventually retrofit all cars(HW2, 2.5) that paid for FSD for free per Elon Musk. Elon initially said the upgrade to HW3 would be a 5 min job. He now has mentioned it won’t be as easy as once thought because of conflicts with older hardware. MCU2 was never promised because Elon though it wasn’t needed. It may be needed, we will have to wait and see what Tesla says. I still think a used 16’ Model X with HW2 is a great deal right now. It’s an incredibly advanced vehicle for the money! I’m actually looking for a 16’ X for the wife and missed one a week ago because I waited too long.

Thanks, I already have a deposit for a late 16 X with AP2, but was holding out for the price to go down on a 6 seater w/FSD, which is currently about 7-10k more. But if its only 4k to upgrade, might be the better option. Although, one of the biggest holdups right now is actually getting a delivery date.

Congrats and cultivate patience:) It took about a month from deposit to delivery. Expect very little communication. Look over your vehicle from head to toe at delivery, anything you miss it’s on you. Lastly, even with the subpar delivery experience. It’s like going from a flip phone to an IPhone 11. You will LOVE your X!