Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

getting a PPF or ceramic coat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked MY last week and raised some concerns to the advisor abt some fitment issues / Panel gaps on the hood, bumper etc. They scheduled an appt couple of weeks later to get those fixed.
If i go for a ppf or ceramic coating now, will it have any effect for the fixes tesla gonna do on the panel gaps thing? Just dont want tesla to complain back on the coating or the film.
Appreciate your advices

It's possible they could damage the ppf as they make adjustments. ....possible.

For the ceramic coating, they wont know it's even installed unless they take a guess because it's so shiny. You are aware that ceramic coating is just a wax alternative right? It resists fine scratches like wax but is suppose to last longer. It still breaks down over time and gets scratched.

That said, they could damage the coating if they touch it with a dirty mechanic's glove or lean on it with a belt buckle...for example.. I suppose it's important for you to explain what you are concerned about regarding this?

Reactions: Boeing747
It's possible they could damage the ppf as they make adjustments. ....possible.

For the ceramic coating, they wont know it's even installed unless they take a guess because it's so shiny. You are aware that ceramic coating is just a wax alternative right? It resists fine scratches like wax but is suppose to last longer. It still breaks down over time and gets scratched.

That said, they could damage the coating if they touch it with a dirty mechanic's glove or lean on it with a belt buckle...for example.. I suppose it's important for you to explain what you are concerned about regarding this?

Thanks for explaining. Looks like i should wait till Tesla completes their fixes before getting the ppf and the coat.

If your guys knows what he is doing for the PPF, he should be able to test a small area near the bumper/fog lights by applying a small piece or pressure washing to test the paint. If it holds, no issues with getting it done UNLESS you have paint issues on the areas where you are getting the PPF done.

Same w/ the Ceramic coating, best to do it after the PPF as it gets applied as a top layer.

I just got PPF and ceramic done on the MY and the guys at the body shop said its fine for Tesla to fix the panel gap issues afterwards (have an SC appointment next week for rear lights + panel alignment). Honestly its just up to you - if you're ok waiting then I'd suggest holding it out and getting all the SC work out of the way.

We have seen this happen quite often with both the Model 3 and Ys. When we find issues, we first notify our clients and depending on the depth of the problem, we would not coat or add ppf to that panel. There are 2 reasons for this:

1. they may need to replace a panel or repaint it
2. they may inadvertently damage the coating or ppf during repair

Hope this helps!