Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HOV Sticker / Tag Holder - secure and non-damaging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of a desire to not attach the HOV sticker to either our Model S nor our Model 3, I designed a metal, non-permanent, secure HOV tag holder that attaches the HOV tag in the bumper area next to the license plate without any damage to the car. It attaches using the existing license plate screws and extends out beside the license plate. I sized it based on the Maryland HOV sticker which is 4 1/8 inches square.

I've been using it for about 18 months successfully. I just applied my renewal sticker overtop of the expired sticker. I've driven by cops on Rt 66 in VA who had slowed down cars in the HOV lane to give tickets and they let me drive through with no problem.

You attach the sticker to the tag holder and attach the tag holder in the license plate screws. The tag holder makes it appear that the sticker is attached to the bumper when in reality it is sitting about 1/4 inch away from the bumper. To remove it, you have to remove the license plate from the car, which deters theft.

Here are two pictures of it. If you are interested, I can make you one and mail it to you. It costs $30 plus shipping.

Ignore the dirt on the car - weather has been a mess and car needs a good washing!

View1.jpeg

View2.jpeg

I was thinking this in Florida. Problem is the requirement is lower right hand corner of rear Glass. I did however trim mine down, but its still an annoying eyesore on a good looking car. Great idea though.
Thanks. If Florida ever moves to a bumper installation, let me know and I'm sure I can make it work for you!! Would love to get my hands on a copy of the CA sticker to make one to fit it.

I am interested in one also....
What is the process?
Thaks
@SteveT2
Hi, I just sold the last hand-made one in stock, but I have a batch from a manufacturer arriving this week, and the patent on it is complete, yay! You can pre-order one now and I'll ship it when it's ready (anticipated within the next week or so). I also just posted a website to make the ordering easier, and checkout through PayPal.
Permit Holder

@SteveT2
Hi, I just sold the last hand-made one in stock, but I have a batch from a manufacturer arriving this week, and the patent on it is complete, yay! You can pre-order one now and I'll ship it when it's ready (anticipated within the next week or so). I also just posted a website to make the ordering easier, and checkout through PayPal.
Permit Holder
Thanks, I just ordered one

Thanks for creating this!

I just applied for my Maryland HOV permit and will purchase this from you as soon as I receive the the payment. Hope there is a quick release method to remove and reinstall this as needed.

Is it possible to apply a soft rubberized underside layer to the back of this plate just in case it touches the paint?

What a shame Maryland, VA, and DC have not figures out a way to reciprocate each other's HOV programs, given how people in the DC area often travel between all 3 states.

Thanks for creating this!

I just applied for my Maryland HOV permit and will purchase this from you as soon as I receive the the payment. Hope there is a quick release method to remove and reinstall this as needed.

Is it possible to apply a soft rubberized underside layer to the back of this plate just in case it touches the paint?

What a shame Maryland, VA, and DC have not figures out a way to reciprocate each other's HOV programs, given how people in the DC area often travel between all 3 states.

You can remove the holder by removing the screws that hold it (and the license plate) to the car, slide the holder out of the frame, then put the license plate back on the car. I've done this many times - quick and easy. I haven't attached any rubber or felt protector tabs (like you might put on the bottom of a planter to protect a table top) to the back of it on my car but I don't see why you couldn't try that. Just not sure how well the rubber piece would hold up to weather.