Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is ford lightening a winner for ford?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While we, personally, feel like we're being fiscally irresponsible if we sell a car that we've put less than 100K miles on, trading for a new car really isn't that bad ecologically or altruistically. After the original buyer eats the steep depreciation, it will undoubtedly be sold, used, to subsequent buyers. Many of whom couldn't afford new, and who will undoubtedly eek every possible mile out of the energy that went into producing it. Then, of course, it will mostly be recycled (sorry Pennsylvania) into new cars.
And many of those buying the used EV may be replacing an ICE vehicle, thereby improving the ratio of EVs to ICE on the roads.

And many of those buying the used EV may be replacing an ICE vehicle, thereby improving the ratio of EVs to ICE on the roads.
a used vehicle, whether gas or ev, is a better choice for the planet. I hate to say in my years here, I get the impression that many owners
are like Apple geeks. Trade in a perfectly good phone to get the shiny new one. Take the new roadster, cmon, it's not being bought as
a $250k two seat daily driver, but a showoff, rub with a diaper, 3rd or 4th vehicle. Maybe you can mount the earth saving flamethrower on the
hood.

• Love
Reactions: outdoors
. . . the new roadster, cmon, it's not being bought as a $250k two seat daily driver, . . .
If the new roadster enables the development of cold thrusters and brings their price down to affordable levels that can be put into 'normal' cars, thus ending, or significantly reducing, the risk of losing control when hitting ice, I'm all for it.
Remember that any new technology is extremely expensive initially. It can be very hard to get a new, good technology out of the lab and into mass production where it is affordable. The original Tesla did exactly that with EVs, in general.
You may also note that Tesla isn't breaking their necks to produce the new Roadster. It's on the roadmap but not blocking other, more altruistic things (super bottle, octovalve, castings, heat pumps, etc)
I have no problem with playboys paying to make safer cars for me.

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
I'd be very interested once they start building vans on the platform... 100-200kwh in a van body would be very versatile
There is quite a difference between 100 kWh and 200 kWh, you know... ;)
Also, an electric van on WWII frame truck platform... what can be more effective? (sarcasm)
Anyway, Model X is a van of sort, and you can buy it now.