Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this normal battery degradation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
My 2019 75D should have a usable kwh of 72.5 (unless I'm mistaken)
Today on a road trip from 100% charge I reached 50% but had only consumed 29kwh which NY this math would give me a total of 58kwh of usable battery. Is this kind of degradation normal for a car of this age?

Hello

72.5 KWh is a value for new cars and considers a safety buffer (4-5 KWh).
Furthermore the dashboard may forget some consumption, for example when you're stopped.
Therefore your values seem absolutely normal.

On my 100D (2017, 190 000 km) SMT reports now around 88-89 KWh usable capacity (supposed to be 97 KWh when brand new), but the same calculation than yours gives me usually 80-81 KWh.

Hello

72.5 KWh is a value for new cars and considers a safety buffer (4-5 KWh).
Furthermore the dashboard may forget some consumption, for example when you're stopped.
Therefore your values seem absolutely normal.

On my 100D (2017, 190 000 km) SMT reports now around 88-89 KWh usable capacity (supposed to be 97 KWh when brand new), but the same calculation than yours gives me usually 80-81 KWh.
You've done 190k km? That's a lot. Mine is almost 59k miles. It's almost 20% so feels like a lot of degredation

It feels a lot but it is not correct.

You probably do not have more than 5% to 7%. The way you are measuring (through the consumption read on the dashboard) cannot allow you to measure degradation, for various reasons: consumption on the dashboard does not consider when the vehicle is idle, battery has a safety buffer, reference capacity is measure with ideal conditions (temperature etc.).

On my own case your calculation would lead to 17% (81/97). But the real calculation is 89/97 = 92% of initial capacity - 8% degradation.

There are many topics about that, most reliable ways to measure degradation is using tools like ScanMyTesla or Tessie.