Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long term storage M3 LFP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

I have a 2022 M3 with LFP. For the summer (approx 4 months) I plan on parking/storing it in my garage and leaving it plugged in (have the Tesla wall connector)

I was planning on leaving it at 70% SOC, and charge limit of 50%, however I emailed Tesla to double check what they recommend, and this is what they said:

Thank you for contacting Tesla Support. For vehicles with the LFP battery type, we recommend charging to 100% at least once per week, as this will keep the pack balanced. If you are keeping it plugged in during your extended absence, you should keep the charge limit set to 100% during this time. You can read more about caring for your battery here.

That doesn’t seem right to me at all. So basically they’re recommending keeping the battery at 100% SOC the whole time?

Anyone else knowledgeable about this?

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

I have a 2022 M3 with LFP. For the summer (approx 4 months) I plan on parking/storing it in my garage and leaving it plugged in (have the Tesla wall connector)

I was planning on leaving it at 70% SOC, and charge limit of 50%, however I emailed Tesla to double check what they recommend, and this is what they said:

Thank you for contacting Tesla Support. For vehicles with the LFP battery type, we recommend charging to 100% at least once per week, as this will keep the pack balanced. If you are keeping it plugged in during your extended absence, you should keep the charge limit set to 100% during this time. You can read more about caring for your battery here.

That doesn’t seem right to me at all. So basically they’re recommending keeping the battery at 100% SOC the whole time?

Anyone else knowledgeable about this?

Thanks!

The recommendation should be the same as in this thread here.

Likely Tesla does not want you to come back to a car that says 50% but really only has 20% or something like that.

Leaving it plugged in with a 50% charge target is likely better for the battery than 100%, but you probably want to charge it up to 100% when you get back before you do significant driving, just in case the BMS has lost the true state of charge.