Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Aero Wheels - Do I toss the Michelins?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M3 LR AWD with 18" Aeros and Michelin Primacy MXV4 (OEM) have 5,000 miles but I love a silver finish wheel with my Blue M3 or the 19" Sport wheel. I'll use the 18" rims for some snows but hard for me to toss tires with some good life left (thanks to my late father's lessons on not wasting - I know, maybe I need therapy) :). Options - 1) buy some new 18" wheels and remount the Michelins or a summer performance tire, 2) buy a new 19" wheel and tire package and toss the Michelins, or 3) donate the tires but where? What have people done in this situation? Have some savings so budget not an issue, just curious. Thanks, great forum.

I think a lot of buyers got the base wheels+tires because it was the cheapest option to start and they were considering switching to something else.

If you are doing summer only wheels+tires, the PS4S tires get a lot of praise compared the MXM4. (So you would use a different Michelin tire.)

Since I live in an area with mild climate, and don't plan to take my Model 3 to snow, I haven't given winter tires much thought.

Personally, I think you would be happier looking for a better summer tire for your new wheels. And then sell or donate the MXM4 tires to someone who has worn out their OEMs and is satisfied with the performance of that particular tire.

In my case, I got aftermarket wheels (but still 18" size) and upgraded to PS4S instead of MXM4 and really notice an improvement in how the car drives now.

I love my Michelin OEM's. Have about 40k on them. Run them on the Titan 7's 18 inch very light. 180's city. 220's Wh/mile highway for energy usage over something like 8 or 9 thousand miles now. My Aeros have my Michelin X-ICE for winter.

Donation. Nice thought. Which reminds me. I should clean out my Tesla stuff closet.

Welcome @Jerev

Very helpful. From a pure aesthetic POV, I prefer the 19 inch and understand the different dynamics and performance characteristics between 18” and 19” from my former cars (BMW 540, Porsche) which I drove pretty hard. I’m now 60, I don’t drive nearly as aggressively so I may opt for an 18" aftermarket wheel like the one ptronus31 posted and keep the Michelins. Thank you all. Or maybe this?

donk-3-5707fc098556c.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: P-Lo801