Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Magic solution for getting bird poop etching out of paint clear coat!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With less than 500 miles on the odometer of our brand new M3LR in MSM paint, a bird pooped right in the freaking middle of the hood. It’s like they know. . .

Washed it today, but the bird poop left an etching in the clear coat, as they often do. I tried other various methods, and the etching would not come out. I was watching videos on polishers and polishing compounds, which i figured would have to be my next step, although drastic and I was pretty nervous about doing it, for fear of messing the paint up.

I was just about to say to heck with it, I will just live with the etch, but then found a video that talked about using heat to remove bird etchings. After watching that video, I then searched for others. Found one from a guy doing it to a Tesla. I watched that video, and decided to give it a go. Grabbed my wife's hair dryer, ran an extension cord, and started slowly heating. At first it didnt look like it was working, but it turned out i was being too timid, had the hair dryer too far away and not heating enough. Moved it closer, and in the span of less than a minute, the etching started disappearing before my eyes! I stopped periodically to check it, and then applied more heat. All in alll, took me about 5 minutes of carefully heating and checking, and now the etching is GONE!

Magic! ;-).

PSHere is the video i watched, for reference:

At first it didnt look like it was working, but it turned out i was being too timid, had the hair dryer too far away and not heating enough. Moved it closer, and in the span of less than a minute, the etching started disappearing before my eyes! I stopped periodically to check it, and then applied more heat. All in alll, took me about 5 minutes of carefully heating and checking, and now the etching is GONE!

That explains what happened to me. Last summer, when our Model 3 was a few months old, we found bird poop on the hood. Just like you...it seemed to have etched the clear coat.

We tried a few things...could not remove it. We had an appt coming up for PPF and ceramic so we hoped they could fix it. A few weeks later we noticed it was gone...probably from sitting out in the sun somewhere.

Reactions: Nolakai and XAEA-12