Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Martian wheel photo thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was thinking about Martians too, but ended up with this 20x8.5 beauty
IMG-0841.jpg

Just picked these up about an hour ago. 18” Satin Black with Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4s size 235/55/ZR18.

I drove about 10 miles on them and the ride is noticeably less bumpy than with the OEM Gemini wheels and tires. One thing to know is that I had to get a new set of lug nuts from Discount Tire that cost me about $60.
Update: I did not like the look of the lug nuts from Discount Tire. They stuck out pretty far and we’re “ridged”. If you zoom in on the picture you will see what I mean.

Anyway, I called Martian and told them about the lug nuts from Discount Tire and asked what size lug nuts I should get to fit the wheels. They said that they occasionally here about this issue with various tire shops but the wheels are designed to be used with the original Tesla lug nuts. After hearing that I verified it by removing one of the new lug nuts and replacing it with the original. Needless to say I took the car back to Discount Tire and had them refund me the money and put the old lug nuts back on the car. They apologized for the mistake. The place was extremely busy and I needed to get back to my home “office” so I did not ask for an explanation.

I am sharing this story so any future Martian Wheel buyers will be aware and and not purchase unnecessary lug nuts. BTW- it sometimes takes a while to get through to Martian but when I do I usually talk to Drew (I think he is the owner) and he is very helpful.

Also, I will be putting black caps that I purchased on the lug nuts. Glad I waited to return them!

Attachments

• B74B2ED9-6E4E-45A6-B175-AF93CAB0CCE3.jpeg
    B74B2ED9-6E4E-45A6-B175-AF93CAB0CCE3.jpeg
    748.8 KB · Views: 278
Update: I did not like the look of the lug nuts from Discount Tire. They stuck out pretty far and we’re “ridged”. If you zoom in on the picture you will see what I mean.

Anyway, I called Martian and told them about the lug nuts from Discount Tire and asked what size lug nuts I should get to fit the wheels. They said that they occasionally here about this issue with various tire shops but the wheels are designed to be used with the original Tesla lug nuts. After hearing that I verified it by removing one of the new lug nuts and replacing it with the original. Needless to say I took the car back to Discount Tire and had them refund me the money and put the old lug nuts back on the car. They apologized for the mistake. The place was extremely busy and I needed to get back to my home “office” so I did not ask for an explanation.

I am sharing this story so any future Martian Wheel buyers will be aware and and not purchase unnecessary lug nuts. BTW- it sometimes takes a while to get through to Martian but when I do I usually talk to Drew (I think he is the owner) and he is very helpful.

Also, I will be putting black caps that I purchased on the lug nuts. Glad I waited to return them!
Nice input. 19 inch wheels looks great.

How are your efficiency numbers with this new wheel and tire combo? What did you have originally? Any more feedback about ride quality, noise and especially snow/ice traction? I'm thinking about this same combo for our crappy roads and snow here in Colorado. Thanks!

Reactions: MumblzA10
How are your efficiency numbers with this new wheel and tire combo? What did you have originally? Any more feedback about ride quality, noise and especially snow/ice traction? I'm thinking about this same combo for our crappy roads and snow here in Colorado. Thanks!
I originally had the stock Gemini Wheels. It is hard to tell the efficiency numbers since the temperature dropped quite a bit in the Chicago area right before I put them on and it hasn’t come back up enough to do a fair comparison. The ride quality has improved and so has the handling. The traction on snow has been fine But it has been an unusual winter here In that we haven’t had a lot of snowy days. My previous two cars have been a Subaru Forester turbo and an Outback turbo and the Model Y seems to be similar, although no where near the ground clearance. Since the Model Y has more power I have to be aware of how to accelerate to maximize traction in the snow.

I am looking forward to the weather warming up so I can see if there are any changes in efficiency.

I’m curious as well if anyone has noticed any efficiency difference with the Martian’s vs stock?