Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

matte black vinyl wrap on back of display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted this on the "other" forum and got responses telling me why I should NOT do this. The heat is not an issue, matte black is not going to absorb much more heat than the original color.

Here is the question; Has anyone put flat black on the back of the monitor so it doesn't stand out as much from the front of the car?

I tried doing it twice using 3M 1080 M12 vinyl and both times it would not stay down more than a few days, where it wraps around the corners to the display side. On the second attempt I used 3M Tape Primer 94 at the edge where it wraps around to the front.
I admit I am not an expert at putting on vinyl, but I did cover my console (4) pieces with no problems.I wonder is there is anyone in the Los Angles / Inland Empire that has more experience?

And again, most any adhesives are going to lose strength when it gets hot. The back of the screen probably goes past 150F. At the corners, the adhesives have to have pretty good strength and will generally loosen on hot days.

I see your only option is that you have to preform the wrap to the shape. That means if you have it sitting on a desktop, it should look like a phone case.

I've had many things on the dash over the years. I have found that if there is ANY tension on it, it will eventually fail.

This vinyl is used on the exterior of cars, including the hoods of IC cars, I don't think the heat is the issue.

Black absorbs heat, making all the delicate electronic components inside hotter. Electronics don't like heat, and tend to fail when things get too hot. This is why this is a bad idea (from an equipment standpoint).

If OP lives in an environment where ambient temp never gets too hot, no biggie. But in hot sunny climates, this would most likely at best shorten the lifespan of the screen, and at worst cause outright failure on a hot summer day.

Love to see the finished look can you post? I want to do this too. I think it's weird how the gray backing of the screen in every version of the M3 regardless of interior color is the same gray. It doesn't match the interior of blend in much from the exterior. If you figure this out please post pics and perhaps where I can get this done in LA! Thx!

Good to see someone with the same vision.

I talked to a place in Chino today, quoted $120. They also gave me some hints on how to make it work. I like to do things myself so I am going to try their technique. I also ordered samples of 3 different matte blacks to see which looks best. I have M12 but found out there are some variations.

Good to see someone with the same vision.

I talked to a place in Chino today, quoted $120. They also gave me some hints on how to make it work. I like to do things myself so I am going to try their technique. I also ordered samples of 3 different matte blacks to see which looks best. I have M12 but found out there are some variations.

Awesome! Can’t wait to see how it turns out!

I just received the samples.
Before I used 3M 1080 M12 "matte black" but since looking at the samples prefer the "dead matte black 1080 BM12 better, It is even less reflection than the M12. I ordered a few feet for the monitor so maybe later this week i will be able to wrap it.

Yeah, really curious about this myself... I'll remain a curious bystander for the time-being eagerly awaiting photos. I gave the center console wrap my best shot and only succeeded at pulling my own hair out. I'm having the guy that did my chrome delete finish the job for me so I'll have to consider this as well now.

Sorry guys for not getting back on my progress. I got the vinyl and have been doing tests to see if my new method would hold on the front corners and it is working well. A few more days in the hot sun to see if it will peel and I will attempt the display again. I had done the monitor before but was not happy with the way it wrapped on the corners but never removed it. To give you a comparison I removed 1/2 of it. The new vinyl is a flatter black so it should be even better.

monitor compare s.jpg

Sorry guys for not getting back on my progress. I got the vinyl and have been doing tests to see if my new method would hold on the front corners and it is working well. A few more days in the hot sun to see if it will peel and I will attempt the display again. I had done the monitor before but was not happy with the way it wrapped on the corners but never removed it. To give you a comparison I removed 1/2 of it. The new vinyl is a flatter black so it should be even better.

View attachment 345018

Rad! Looks like it's gonna work.Thanks for the update!