Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Fan Sound Coming From Center Dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2013 Model S P85. I have read about this issue everywhere But have found nobody that has fixed it. I have what sounds like a noisy MCU fan noise coming from the center of my dash. Mostly does not bother me unless it comes on while the car is off. I called and spoke with Tesla support and they actually suggested that it might be a ribbon cable hitting and to fix it myself because it is out of warranty. Has anybody actually fixed this issue and if so where do I start?

Gruber Motors, as well as the Electrified Garage (former Tesla tech) have videos on YouTube about removing the MCU.

If you go to all the effort to remove your MCU, fix the fan problem, then reinstall the MCU, you are almost guaranteed that the eMMC chip on your MCU will fail within a month or two on some dark, lonely road without cellular coverage (lol).

Seriously, you might look into getting the eMMC replaced and fixing the fan issue at the same time...