Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - away charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone ,
We went on a 10 day vacation. I plugged in my car and set the schedule to charge it at after 11pm. Car only charged first night, after first night it never charged on its own. Each time I had to click on “start charging” on my app. I was under impression that this will be automatic and it should be always plugged in so it would not use battery for its own maintenance. Each day I lost 1%. I thought being plugged in it would not use battery.
After 3rd night, I have not touched it for 4 days, dropped to 45% and it still did not kick of charging.

Os this expected behavior?

This is expected behavior. You said you lost 1% in a day. That’s not enough to trigger charging. The car needs to lose about 3% for charging to start. Otherwise the car would keep charging unnecessarily. If you really need that extra percent or two, set your charge percentage higher.

thanks, but it did drop to 45%, from 50% and still charging did not start.

Also why its recommenced to ABC, Always be charging, when at home if Car will be using the battery instead of the outlet.

I am a new owner and still learning the ropes.

It’s possible the slider was not set exactly at 50%. I wouldn’t worry about it. Keep it plugged in as you’re doing, let the battery management system manage the battery, and just enjoy the car.

“Always be charging” was a saying from the Leaf and other crappy EVs that didn’t have the range to get across town and back. You have a 310 mile range car. Tesla said “A connected Model S is a happy Model S” (and it applies to Model X and 3 as well.). When it’s kept plugged in, the car will decide if it needs to charge.

Last edited:
Thanks! it was set to 50%, please see below.
I have to admit I missed my car. I never missed a car when on vacation and usually I get attached to my cars :).

{
"response": {
"battery_heater_on": false,
"battery_level": 48,
"battery_range": 147.6,
"charge_current_request": 48,
"charge_current_request_max": 48,
"charge_enable_request": false,
"charge_energy_added": 0,
"charge_limit_soc": 50,
"charge_limit_soc_max": 100,
"charge_limit_soc_min": 50,
"charge_limit_soc_std": 90,
"charge_miles_added_ideal": 0,
"charge_miles_added_rated": 0,
"charge_port_door_open": true,
"charge_port_latch": "Engaged",
"charge_rate": 0,
"charge_to_max_range": false,
"charger_actual_current": 0,
"charger_phases": null,
"charger_pilot_current": 48,
"charger_power": 0,
"charger_voltage": 1,
"charging_state": "Complete",
"conn_charge_cable": "SAE",
"est_battery_range": 123.32,
"fast_charger_brand": "<invalid>",
"fast_charger_present": false,
"fast_charger_type": "ACSingleWireCAN",
"ideal_battery_range": 147.6,
"managed_charging_active": false,
"managed_charging_start_time": null,
"managed_charging_user_canceled": false,
"max_range_charge_counter": 0,
"not_enough_power_to_heat": null,
"scheduled_charging_pending": false,
"scheduled_charging_start_time": "2018-12-02T23:30:00",
"time_to_full_charge": 0,
"timestamp": 1543769625857,
"trip_charging": false,
"usable_battery_level": 47,
"user_charge_enable_request": null
}
}

Just have a little more patience. There is no rule that says that you need to keep it at 50. Leave it your standard setting and just leave it alone. It's designed to not as high maintenance as everyone seems to think it is.
Yeah, for a 10 day vacation there was no reason to adjust the charge level down. Just plug in as you would do any evening you get home. Long term storage means months, not days.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H