Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 has no spare tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Caaaaalm down, princess. What if I was stuck in the middle of nowhere, and what if you were, and what if someone's wife, kid, or mother was?? It's ridiculous that you and some other people think it's acceptable to wait 3.5 hrs for Tesla to get to you and then be without a car for almost 24 hours over a measly flat tire. According to yourself, this is supposed to be a luxury car (barely). What kind of ridiculous service is that for a luxury car? I'm sure even if I rented one of those little scooters off the corner of a street and got stranded somewhere, they'd get to me faster than Tesla.

People in ICE vehicles have been stuck with flat tires in remote areas driving across the US, many without a spare tire or finding the one in their car hadn't been maintained and was flat too. I think that was partially why manufacturers started eliminating them as it became excess car weight and an expense to include for something people were seldom using and instead calling AAA etc. Tesla wasn't the company that started the no spare tire thing but you seem to want to fault them for what the automotive trend is about this. What it comes down to is if you drive through a remote area, a flat is always a possibility regardless of what car you are driving and yes you are going to be waiting for roadside help however long that takes.

Do owners here think a 3.5 hour wait for a tow is acceptable? well guess it depends on the circumstance like weather conditions and how long the line of people waiting for service is before you place the call. Most people don't think they are special and get priority servicing before others waiting. But maybe some people who drive luxury vehicles like Mercedes do but the people who I know who drive "expensive" or exotic cars are understanding of conditions.

What if I was stuck in the middle of nowhere,

Then you probably wouldn't have cel service and you wouldn't be posting on this forum.

and what if you were,

I wouldn't be posting on this forum either! That's why I never go to Los Angeles because it IS in the middle of nowhere and I would see all these freakin people who don't know most modern cars don't come with a spare tire, sitting in their cars for like 24 hours in a freakin SoCal downpour because they don't have a freakin included simple spare tire.

a measly flat tire.

I'm confused ! First you said it was a "simple flat tire" and now you say it is a measly flat tire. Which is it, "simple" or "measly" or both? It is freakin pathetic that you would have a freakin flat tire but we would have to know what kind of flat tire it is exactly before giving advice!

I have:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E635PGA
DEWALT 20-Volt MAX Cordless Inflator with 1.5Ah Battery Included-DCC020IBP - The Home Depot

The digital air cutoff is great and does a good job setting my tires at the same pressure. Regarding the kit just make sure it has good pliers in addition to the plugs or you will be very sad when you need to pull a nail or screw out. I have plugged 3 tires over the years and never took the wheel off so I know it can work.
I’ve left the nail in (in one case seating it better against the rubber), tried to “caulk” it to reduce air loss, inflated and driven to tire center. It just all depends on what kind of flat it is. The poster who mentioned the potholes taking out rims too made me sad.

THANK YOU! Exactly! All these people saying I'm acting entitled because I'm complaining about waiting for 3.5 hrs for them to get to me, and then having my car towed overnight, and then having to Uber to work, and dealing with all sorts of nonsense, all because of an insanely common issue like a flat tire, are working against their own interest. By saying this sort of service is acceptable, they're enabling Tesla to behave even worse. If you're going to take the spare tire away, then ur alternative solution should at least be somewhat comparable. I was close to home, so it didn't turn out to be too horrible, but if you're far away and something like this happens, you're totally screwed.

By the way, maybe some of you guys that are super active here know Teslas don't have spares, but I asked three other people at work today who've had their Teslas MUCH longer than I have, and 2 of them had no idea their cars have no spare. The other person thought the car has run-flat tires, which it obviously doesn't.
Then you can have a book club at lunch reviewing owner manuals together.

It’s pretty pathetic that the Model 3 doesn’t have a spare tire. We just got simple flat tire in pouring rain and have been sitting here waiting for the past 40 minutes for roadside service to call us back and then who knows how much longer for them to get here. I mean who sells a car w no spare tire? If this freakin car had a spare tire, I would have been long gone on way home already. It’s pathetic if you ask me.
It sucks but IMHO the customer base for Teslas is the phone-savvy crowd (especially iPhones) and they are more adept at knowing how to call for help than to turn a wrench. I personally would not drive a car without a spare tire (donuts are acceptable). I'm glad I cancelled the M3 as I like to do my own wrenching.

That said, for those that find themselves with a flat that they want to fix themselves, buy a tire repair kit from Walmart and carry a mini-compressor in your frunk. Learn how to use it. The hardest part is usually finding where the nail is. I've fixed stuff on the go on high performance sports cars and not had problems for years. Don't let the tire shops fool you.

Reactions: jumper4000
I was close to home, so it didn't turn out to be too horrible, but if you're far away and something like this happens, you're totally screwed.
You would either be "screwed" or "nailed" depending what caused the simple/measly flat tire. I know if I were that close to your home, I would be totally screwed!

By the way, maybe some of you guys that are super active here know Teslas don't have spares, but I asked three other people at work today who've had their Teslas MUCH longer than I have, and 2 of them had no idea their cars have no spare. The other person thought the car has run-flat tires, which it obviously doesn't.

That's because your workmates live in the middle of nowhere, I live in the Inland Empire which is in the middle of somewhere, but there is no there, there.

Simple suggestion, buy some run flat tires for your car if this is causing you so much angst. Then you can complain about Tesla because they didn't tell you how rough run flat tires ride.

It sucks but IMHO the customer base for Teslas is the phone-savvy crowd (especially iPhones) and they are more adept at knowing how to call for help than to turn a wrench. I personally would not drive a car without a spare tire (donuts are acceptable). I'm glad I cancelled the M3 as I like to do my own wrenching.
Soooooo...you’ve made 163 posts on a forum for a car you cancelled? Weird. As has been mentioned many, many times... It’s possible to buy a universal or Hyundai spare (both donuts) for the 3 (or any other car for that matter). You can buy two. It does take planning and initiative. It also means occasional maintenance on the spare, easy but takes planning and initiative. Without planning you 1) Have no wrench and 2) Don’t have the spare parts needed to turn with said wrench. OP is being lambasted for whining about a situation that he had 100% control over. If you don’t want to wait, buy a spare. If you’re going somewhere remote consider a spare. My Jeep went to remote regions so I had two parallel batteries, engine driven air compressor, welding rods and mask, spare tire, spare axles, bits of rubber hose, and a decent tool kit. None of that is in the 3- she has UMC, extension cord, Tesla tire repair kit, flares, first aid kit, jumper cables, and basic tools. It’s nuts to me to hear grown men whine about their poor planning and blaming everyone else for their error. Suck it up, Buttercup, and learn from your mistake.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dana1
Soooooo...you’ve made 163 posts on a forum for a car you cancelled? Weird. As has been mentioned many, many times... It’s possible to buy a universal or Hyundai spare (both donuts) for the 3 (or any other car for that matter). You can buy two. It does take planning and initiative. It also means occasional maintenance on the spare, easy but takes planning and initiative. Without planning you 1) Have no wrench and 2) Don’t have the spare parts needed to turn with said wrench. OP is being lambasted for whining about a situation that he had 100% control over. If you don’t want to wait, buy a spare. If you’re going somewhere remote consider a spare. My Jeep went to remote regions so I had two parallel batteries, engine driven air compressor, welding rods and mask, spare tire, spare axles, bits of rubber hose, and a decent tool kit. None of that is in the 3- she has UMC, extension cord, Tesla tire repair kit, flares, first aid kit, jumper cables, and basic tools. It’s nuts to me to hear grown men whine about their poor planning and blaming everyone else for their error. Suck it up, Buttercup, and learn from your mistake.
His mistake was trusting Tesla to take care of his flat tire in a reasonable and timely manner. I guess everyone here thinks that makes him an idiot. People who follow this forum know that you're best dealing with a flat yourself but people coming from other brands may expect more I guess.

I've heard that you can plug a leak in both front & rear tires w/o jacking up the car. It seems like this is possible (although awkward if it's the rear wheel close to the centerline of the car). Any feedback? I'm thinking of getting the Porsche scissor jack mentioned in another thread if necessary, but haven't pulled the trigger... TIA.

Yes you can plug a tire while it's on the car.

Don't use slime or any other liquid sealants because it could mess up the tire pressure sensors.

Yes you can plug a tire while it's on the car.

Don't use slime or any other liquid sealants because it could mess up the tire pressure sensors.
Yea, slime can always mess up the sensors even the sensor safe stuff. But you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes. I figured it would not work with foam in the tire though, or at least not very well since it relies on spinning the tire to fling the slime into position, the foam would likely prevent that.

Plugs don't help with blowouts which I have experienced before on almost new tires (SUV flung a metal shrapnel into my car's rear tire sidewall from the lane next to mine). Luckily I had a spare so it was an easy fix. I get allot of flats / nails in tires, at least one or two per year just form freeway driving. Only had a couple blow outs though (one was a trailer tire). Plugging the rear tire is much more difficult than the front since you have a very limited space to work between the ground and the rear fender. I'm a fan of having a spare but I don't want to store it at my house, I already have 12 wheels and tires for other vehicles I'm storing!

His mistake was trusting Tesla to take care of his flat tire in a reasonable and timely manner. I guess everyone here thinks that makes him an idiot. People who follow this forum know that you're best dealing with a flat yourself but people coming from other brands may expect more I guess.

Given the location, pouring rain and assuming many other calls were already placed due to accidents in the rain storm, I think reasonable and timely manner is really questionable here as to what that realistically meant at the time.

As for dealing with flats, we've had a few and never once fixed or changed tires over the years. Always called for AAA service in the past (their plus and premier membership offers a greater towing distance coverage than Tesla Roadside and worth it for peace of mind).

Reactions: K3Man and Dana1
Given the location, pouring rain and assuming many other calls were already placed due to accidents in the rain storm, I think reasonable and timely manner is really questionable here as to what that realistically meant at the time.

As for dealing with flats, we've had a few and never once fixed or changed tires over the years. Always called for AAA service in the past (their plus and premier membership offers a greater towing distance coverage than Tesla Roadside and worth it for peace of mind).
They wouldn’t have had to send a tow truck if Tesla had had any spare wheels in Los Angeles. OPs experience is not unique. Not everyone reads this forum obsessively like us and knows that you should have secondary roadside assistance coverage.

So as a premier member for 25 plus years AAA can sometimes be a problem but for the most part have been very good, it depends on the tow truck driver, I have found some to be very unreasonable.

As an example my son with 4 other friends were coming home from Lake Oroville above Sacramento to our home in Long Beach when he had a blow out, they were able to get to the side of a busy 5 frwy north of the Firebaugh exit, he immediately called AAA and was told someone would be there in 30 min or less.

We had went the other way to Redding to visit friends, when we got the call my wife was worried about them being stuck on the side of the frwy. and the mother hen in her said LETS GO RESCUE MY BABY! never mind we were 4 hours north of them so we get in the car and go.

My wife calls AAA to see when they are arriving and they tell us its only a matter of minutes, 90 min. later our son is saying that AAA is there and they refused to tow the car, "it's been modified" they tell him and "it's too low" (it was lowered 3/4" from stock I know because it was my car before I gave it to him and I measured before and after) and they just left him with 4 friends on the side of the frwy. in the car.

Wife calls AAA and asked WTF? and by now i'm doing 85 to 90 to get to "OUR BABY!" She is arguing with AAA asking why they did not bring the kids to safety? pretty soon I here her say "YOU BETTER GET SOMEBODY OVER THERE RIGHT F**ING NOW!" and she does not talk like that, haha.

So long story longer we arrive just as the new AAA driver is hooking up the car and we follow him to the offramp, its been over 4 hours since the first call and "OUR BABY!" (her words not mine, haha) is just now getting off the frwy.

New driver is met by another driver in the parking lot where they both look at the car and say "can you believe so and so said the car was too low?" and the other guy says "I know, what an idiot"

Second driver is WAY cool, its past 9pm and he says "I know the owner of a tire store and if you want i'll take you there, its 20 miles away and he will open up to sell you a tire"

Me being super dad I offer the kids my car, they go home while the wife and I go to the tire shop, get a tire, tip everyone, thank everyone, drive home while the wife sleeps and I get home before 3 am still, not bad!

My sons car came with a spare (2010 Honda Accord) crazy thing is, it would not fit! lug holes did not line up, weird?, I had seen for myself that it would not fit, so strange.

• Informative
Reactions: richyrich
Then you probably wouldn't have cel service and you wouldn't be posting on this forum.

I wouldn't be posting on this forum either! That's why I never go to Los Angeles because it IS in the middle of nowhere and I would see all these freakin people who don't know most modern cars don't come with a spare tire, sitting in their cars for like 24 hours in a freakin SoCal downpour because they don't have a freakin included simple spare tire.

I'm confused ! First you said it was a "simple flat tire" and now you say it is a measly flat tire. Which is it, "simple" or "measly" or both? It is freakin pathetic that you would have a freakin flat tire but we would have to know what kind of flat tire it is exactly before giving advice!

I couldn't give a flying ef about YOUR particular advice, but thanks for the offer

You would either be "screwed" or "nailed" depending what caused the simple/measly flat tire. I know if I were that close to your home, I would be totally screwed!

That's because your workmates live in the middle of nowhere, I live in the Inland Empire which is in the middle of somewhere, but there is no there, there.

Simple suggestion, buy some run flat tires for your car if this is causing you so much angst. Then you can complain about Tesla because they didn't tell you how rough run flat tires ride.

U live in Inland Empire?? Lucky you, your house must be cheaper than your Model 3

• Funny
Reactions: T34ME