Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 windshield shade that won't bake senors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking for a windshield sunshade for my 2020 M3P. So far, they all seem to extend UNDER the black plastic cover ahead of the rear view mirror. That seems to form a solar oven that will bake all of the expensive Tesla sensors like 3 cameras, rain sensor. Etc. Do any of these shades have a cut out to fit the edges of that sensor cover? Or has anyone made their own cutout? That probably won't work with shades having a wire frame. But could that be done to a Weatertech rollup or any other shade?

I am not sure I understand exactly what you are saying, but I have one from covercraft that fits in the front windshield pretty good. Covercraft makes the "OEM" windscreen shades that can be found on a lot of brands, like BMW, which is when I started using their windshield shades a decade or more ago.

They are the accordion type, so a bit unwieldy, but they are filled with with a material which does a great job of rejecting heat. I am not sure what you mean about "under the black cover" or whatnot though, so I will just post a couple pictures I took right now.

IMG_0833.JPG

IMG_0835.JPG

Reactions: TonyJag
I am not sure I understand exactly what you are saying, but I have one from covercraft that fits in the front windshield pretty good. Covercraft makes the "OEM" windscreen shades that can be found on a lot of brands, like BMW, which is when I started using their windshield shades a decade or more ago.

They are the accordion type, so a bit unwieldy, but they are filled with with a material which does a great job of rejecting heat. I am not sure what you mean about "under the black cover" or whatnot though, so I will just post a couple pictures I took right now.

View attachment 672993
View attachment 672995
Thanks so much!! Your covercraft shade has a notch at the top so it fits around the sensor cover, Not behind it. Perfect! I will order one for Father's day.

Thanks so much!! Your covercraft shade has a notch at the top so it fits around the sensor cover, Not behind it. Perfect! I will order one for Father's day.
I hope your wife doesn’t do what mine does. She says I buy everything for myself and she then has nothing to give me. I always say here there’s this and this and this, you can give me these. She was always wants a ”list” but I beat her to them. She says it’s not the same. Kids tell me the same thing. Lol. Nevertheless have the same as JJ. No issues for almost 3 years. Enjoy!

Ski

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin
I hope your wife doesn’t do what mine does. She says I buy everything for myself and she then has nothing to give me. I always say here there’s this and this and this, you can give me these. She was always wants a ”list” but I beat her to them. She says it’s not the same. Kids tell me the same thing. Lol. Nevertheless have the same as JJ. No issues for almost 3 years. Enjoy!

Ski

My family gave up giving me anything beside amazon gift cards LONG ago, lol. Pretty much anything I want, I usually just buy for myself, or we cant get it for some reason (not out, too expensive, made a decision I dont really want it, etc).

I buy quite a bit of stuff through amazon, though.. video games, tools, etc etc, so I always tell them to just get me an amazon gift card. They used to complain that it wasnt really a gift, but eventually just gave up and started buying me them (lmao). Yeah I really like this windshield shade. Only downside is the size. Other than that, it works great. I put it on every time I park in the sun, anywhere.

Reactions: Skione65
Sorry for the delayed response to your posts. At 77, my wife and I have long-ago reached an understanding that we are mutually impossible to buy gifts for, for the exact reasons you both have mentioned. But taking care of our own gifts usually works out so everyone is happy.

My sunshade order is placed. Covercraft does take a while.