Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Aftermarket wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Newbie here - albeit looks like i registered years ago! (Didn't know until i just tried to register!)

Currently looking to order a Model Y for September delivery and looking on the inventory, there appears some decent savings on the Gemini-wheeled models over the 20" wheel - more-so than the extra price of the wheel.

I spoke to Tesla about upgrading after purchase to the 20" but it's not something they offer.

So, looking at the 19" with the Gemini wheels as winter wheels, but with a summer set of aftermarket wheels also - BBS or OZ maybe.

Just wondered - anyone done this yet? And if so, does it cause all sorts of faults and unexpected modification errors??

Plenty of choices in aftermarket wheels for the Tesla Model Y. 18" and 19" are popular sizes for winter tires. In the US Tesla Service won't install aftermarket wheels on your Tesla vehicle, some local Tesla Service may do this. You would need to purchase TPMS sensors either from Tesla, the wheel seller or online (eBay Motors, etc.) You are responsible for ensuring fit, proper offset and load rating.

TSportline Tesla Model Y Wheel and Tire Guide

Reactions: sider
I’m looking to get aftermarket wheels for my 2023 Model Y. The wheels I’m looking at are 19X8.5 with a +45 offset and a weight rating of 1680 pounds. I will be putting the stock 255/45R19 tires on the new rims and I want to make sure these wheels would be strong enough for a Model Y? I understand the stock Gemini wheels are 19X9.5 with a +45 offset so I’m also curious where the wheel would sit in the wheel well? My assumption would be that the wheel would sit about a half inch in from the stock wheel. Any help is appreciated as I know nothing about wheels and this is actually the first time I’m purchasing aftermarket wheels. Thanks

You take the gross axle weight rating (GAWR), front and rear GAWR are different in the Tesla Model Y, and divide each GAWR by 2. That gives you the required minimum load rating for each wheel and tire.

See Vehicle Loading - Vehicle Certification Label (check your vehicle's label located on the B pillar by the driver's door opening.)

Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

You take the gross axle weight rating (GAWR), front and rear GAWR are different in the Tesla Model Y, and divide each GAWR by 2. That gives you the required minimum load rating for each wheel and tire.

See Vehicle Loading - Vehicle Certification Label (check your vehicle's label located on the B pillar by the driver's door opening.)

Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla
So in my case the rear GAWR of 3306 is the higher of the two and divided by 2 is 1653 and the wheel rating is 1680 so I’m good to go there. Thanks so much for the response.

Reactions: jcanoe
Re-stock special currently going on for our very own Redwood Motorsports Forged RW-S5 Cyclone wheels for the Tesla Model Y!

Email us [email protected] for more details on special pricing for those who are local to the Bay Area or special pricing for those who need it shipped!

Color options are available in both Matte Bronze and Gunmetal Grey!

Size options are available in 20x10 +45

• Model Y:
RWB02.jpg
IMG_1106.jpg
IMG_1111.jpg
IMG_1116.jpg
IMG_3475.jpg
IMG_3490.jpg

Last edited: