Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance Cancellation/Transfer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been wondering about "transfers" as well. I've got an extra MY order from Jan 15 (ordered a MYP and a MYLR to capture the $10k FSD pricing), but may not purchase the MYLR. Thinking of "transferring" to my sister, who also ordered a MYLR but after the $4000 price increases.

I can edit my MY order w/o trigging a price change. So I was thinking of changing to her configuration (different color, no FSD), then ask Tesla to change the delivery location to her state, and change the registration info to her name, her insurance, and use her M3 VIN as trade in. She'd pay for it, while in my account (to keep the $4k lower base price), then I'd use the app/website to transfer the car to her account.

I get the sense this would be do-able. And probably only a viable option for people that really trust one another (i.e. I wouldn't stiff my sister by NOT transferring the car to her after she paid for it/financed it.).

Am I missing anything? Since everything would be run thru the Tesla system with her name (in my acct), it presumably would be considered a new car for her, and not a used car.

As another thought-my wife's last name differs from mine and there is nothing preventing me from putting her name in the system (in my account), including registering in her name, etc.

It's not even worth the hassle (for the seller) at the price you are asking, and I say this in the kindest way possible. At least be decent enough to split the savings with the seller.

Having done two reservation transfers in the past, it isn't as clear and easy as people make it seem.