Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Side window issue/ not sitting correctly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone experienced issues with the front door (drivers and passenger side) windows not sitting correctly? Both sides seem to have stoped going fully up and now sit proud… I put in a service request as they have started bleeding air and moisture.

Edit: Doors have never been released using the emergency handle- only soft release!

IMG_9351.jpegIMG_9352.jpeg

Last edited:
Very vague title. :). Not a Model Y or 71 plate "thing".

Can't conceive of why the windows would go out of alignment, but be that as it may there is a adjustment in basically all 4 axis so it's something that can be rectified by a ranger if needs be.

Reactions: Pandinium
Very vague title. :). Not a Model Y or 71 plate "thing".

Can't conceive of why the windows would go out of alignment, but be that as it may there is a adjustment in basically all 4 axis so it's something that can be rectified by a ranger if needs be.
Wasn’t sure how to put the title 🤣 It was just something I noticed , it was the delivery with the “new” double glazed at the time. Wasn’t sure if it was a known issue or something others should look out for on the older versions.

Thanks for response I have put in a service request, still waiting for them to respond.

Has anyone experienced issues with the front door (drivers and passenger side) windows not sitting correctly? Both sides seem to have stoped going fully up and now sit proud… I put in a service request as they have started bleeding air and moisture.

Edit: Doors have never been released using the emergency handle- only soft release!

View attachment 1007075View attachment 1007076
It could be that the Y behaves the same as the Model 3 in cold weather.
The windows will drop slightly when the car is closed (locked) to alleviate the possibility of damage from the window seizing/freezing in the uppermost position.

From the Model 3 manual;

"In cold temperatures, Model 3 automatically makes a slight adjustment to the position of the windows to make it easier to open doors."

I noticed my Model 3 had done this yesterday too.

Just to add, when you drive away the windows should return to their uppermost position. I guess the assumption is at that point the car will be fully defrosted and the likelihood of the windows freezing in the upper most position is unlikely.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pandinium and MrT3
It could be that the Y behaves the same as the Model 3 in cold weather.
The windows will drop slightly when the car is closed (locked) to alleviate the possibility of damage from the window seizing/freezing in the uppermost position.

From the Model 3 manual;

"In cold temperatures, Model 3 automatically makes a slight adjustment to the position of the windows to make it easier to open doors."

I noticed my Model 3 had done this yesterday too.

Just to add, when you drive away the windows should return to their uppermost position. I guess the assumption is at that point the car will be fully defrosted and the likelihood of the windows freezing in the upper most position is unlikely.
I noticed it while still driving, as was getting an air noise (not quite a whistle yet) but kept thinking window was open.

I didn’t try the window reset yet, i honestly never noticed them sticking out so far - but I think if they went up higher it would hit the frame of the roof and not the gap.

Tesla are going to send a mobile mechanic, will see why he says but not till 5thFeb.