Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor dead on delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Upon my car arriving to the sales center, they did the inspection and found something wrong. The delivery adviser told me that the car is throwing a code pertaining to the "rear stack" and the entire rear motor has to be replaced.

Of course this item is not in stock and will delay my delivery. New delivery date TBD.

Question for the group: any idea what this means and should I be worried that they are having to do such a thing on a car that just got off the delivery truck?

From the sound of it, you may be better off refusing delivery and placing a new order.

Something small not working is one thing, but the entire drive unit being replaced on a brand new vehicle...? Don't think I'd be comfortable with that.

Can't think of a situation where the vehicle was tested, delivered on a truck, then all of a sudden not working upon delivery (with no other outside factors).

Reactions: Callawayc7
There was a recent story, I think it was here, where a new owner took delivery, and five miles out his rear drive unit failed. Fortunately AWDs can operate with only one drive unit, so he was able to bring it back

The SC was immediately on it. The manger told him it had their full attention and would even work OT to fix it, and he would personally deliver to car to him, even if it was after midnight.

Turned out it was a disconnection somewhere in the motors drive unit. Easy fix, car was ready in an hour, and no issues since. So it does happen, but hopefully not often. ;)

@MIAM3 I'd be hesitant too, and if not in a hurry would wait for another one. I have read in many other EV forums that EVs are far more modular than ICEs. Replacing an ICE engine is a HUGE deal. EV traction motors are more or less plug and play. You might try and talk to the Service Center directly and ask them how this might affect the car in the future.