Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mounting a License Plate Bracket/EZpass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a state that requires a license plate in the front (MD) and I use an external EZPass transponder that attaches to the bracket. For background, I recent had the front bumper replaced (Unplugged). Since then, I've tried a few different no drill solutions but they won't work. Either because there isn't sufficient space for them to attach to the grill in the front or because they block TACC radar or air intakes. That leads me to mounting everything in the center right under the Tesla logo. Though, I am seriously having a hard time finding a bracket that will fit flush into that space. I've purchased like 10 from Amazon so far and no dice.

Note: I'm aware that a windshield mount EZPass would probably make this a lot easier since I could just go without the front plate (#thuglife) but I can't get those to work. Doesn't matter which way I mount them in the black area of the windshield, the readers never pick them up. Mounting them in the rear of the vehicle under the cargo mat doesn't work either. I even tried using zip ties to secure the EZPass directly but it sits too low for the reader to catch it.

Not having a functioning EZPass isn't an option unfortunately because I'm frequently going through tolls.

This is a 2016 Model S (pre-facelift).

Any suggestions?

img_0624-jpg.838895

Attachments

• IMG_0624.jpg
    IMG_0624.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 687
Interesting - I have the internal wedge type of transponder (not sure how else to describe it). The only place I can get mine to work reliably is the semi-rounded black area to the right of the inside windshield camera (they made the spot just for it) with the thinner part of the wedge against the camera housing. Any other orientation and it doesn't work.

Also, how old is yours - Maybe the battery is reaching the end of its useful life?

I hope you can get it working.

Hate to say it, but I now think I'm a genius! This is where I landed on the topic.

1. Get a black EZ holder from Amazon.
2. Velcro it behind the inspection sticker (which in MA is in the lower right corner).

The result is nearly invisible from both inside and out. And when you get a new sticker, you just re-apply that side of the velcro.

Ta da ;-)

2023-11-07_15-22-37.png