Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pismo Beach, CA to Las Vegas, Best Route?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Resist

Mar 24, 2019
California
Anyone have an idea what the fastest route is for a trip from Pismo Beach to Las Vegas. Google shows to take the North route for around 6 and half hours, but the Tesla route planner says to take the southern route at around 7 and half hours, which includes charging stops.

I threw the trip at Google Maps and Tesla's online trip planner and they agree that the northern route is best. Google says 6 hours 9 minutes and Tesla says 7 hours 15 minutes, including two 20 minute charging stops.

If you want to see what Tesla thinks of a certain Google Maps route, just tell your car or the Tesla online trip planner that you want to stop at some town suggested by the Google route. It's my understanding that Tesla uses Google maps, so they should synch up except that Telsa has to also find Superchargers and route through those as well.

You don't say which vehicle you drive and your SOC upon departure. I would think that taking 166 through the Cuyama Valley and perhaps (gonna have to do some homework) charging at Tejon Ranch then taking 223 east out of Arvin or charging at Enos Lane before hitting 58 might be a tad faster than going over the Grade to Paso and across 46 to 99.

With a large enough battery and departing with 95%, you might even be able to reach Mojave to charge there for a spell before deciding whether to charge again at Baker or Primm.

If the latter is the case, 166 seems a little better; you can bypass Bakersfield and take Bear Mtn. Blvd. (223) to its junction with 58 a little west of Keene.

This is just after putting about two minutes of thought into it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lloyd and JB47394
I used EV Tripplanner (abetterrouteplanner is better but darned if I know how to use it).

For lack of a better departure, I used the Pismo Supercharger and dialed into the Mojave Supercharger where Stater Bros. is.

I used a M3 LR for the car, I used 1.15 as the speed multiplier, and I used a weight of 300 pounds with no wind or extreme temps.

It's determination was to go over 166 and work your way to 223 to 58. One hundred eighty miles and 2:45 of driving time results in utilizing 45kWh. Equivalent "range miles" used were 170.

A Better Routeplanner wants me to take the northern route through Paso Robles. But going up the Cuesta Grade in SLO is a killer on power, so I think I'm going to take the southern route going East before Santa Maria, as the Tesla route planner suggests.

Reactions: JB47394
Does google maps have options to show superchargers in the route? (like show hotels, gas stations, etc..)
Oh, I just realized that I was answering the wrong question. You were specifically asking about finding superchargers along the route. My apologies.

On a PC, you can get the route shown, and there should be a row of buttons at the top of the map area. Mine had buttons for Hotels, Gas, EV charging, Things to do, and Campgrounds. There is also a More button that will give you a search box allowing you to enter "Superchargers". The search will apparently not always cover the entire route, so you may have to zoom into a section of it and click the "Search this area" button at the top of the map area.

On a phone, you can watch this video to see how to get to the function that allows you to search along a route.

Oh, I just realized that I was answering the wrong question. You were specifically asking about finding superchargers along the route. My apologies.

On a PC, you can get the route shown, and there should be a row of buttons at the top of the map area. Mine had buttons for Hotels, Gas, EV charging, Things to do, and Campgrounds. There is also a More button that will give you a search box allowing you to enter "Superchargers". The search will apparently not always cover the entire route, so you may have to zoom into a section of it and click the "Search this area" button at the top of the map area.

On a phone, you can watch this video to see how to get to the function that allows you to search along a route.

Awesome, this is what I was looking. I might know this already but sometime people have to remind me. Once again thanks.

Reactions: JB47394