Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick Question on Performance Model #

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am very close to pulling the trigger on a P3D. I have heard that the maximum torque decreases with the battery level. Is this drop in performance very noticeable? I hope not.

This is a great car and I can't wait for delivery. Looking to order in the middle of May.

Thanks in advance.

Gabriel

I would say the change in acceleration is mildly noticeable, but may depend on how well your butt dyno is calibrated. There is also more acceleration (i.e., jerk is higher) from a complete stop vs. rolling, so pick your demo locations well. ;)

Short answer: yes, above ~45 mph. Long answer:
upload_2019-5-13_16-36-53.png

Blue line is 90% SOC, grey is 50%.

That being said, the difference in performance between 2019.5.15 @ 90 SOC and 2019.8.4 @ 90 SOC is almost as much as is from 50 SOC to 90 SOC on 2019.8.4.

View attachment 407380
Thanks for the reply. So, if I am reading your graphs correctly, the newer software versions are making a difference. I anticipate this to be a continuing trend. What are your thoughts on this? Also, do you find the pull noticeably different when <50 SOC?

I would say the change in acceleration is mildly noticeable, but may depend on how well your butt dyno is calibrated. There is also more acceleration (i.e., jerk is higher) from a complete stop vs. rolling, so pick your demo locations well. ;)
Thanks. I'll make a note of that. I did make the mistake and test drove the P3D with five people in the car. It felt much different that with just two. Both times the car was >80% SOC.

Thanks for the reply. So, if I am reading your graphs correctly, the newer software versions are making a difference. I anticipate this to be a continuing trend. What are your thoughts on this? Also, do you find the pull noticeably different when <50 SOC?

Acceleration from a stop still feels good, it just starts to feel a bit soft if you stomp on it when you are already going 60+ mph if your SOC is low. Most of this I think is just because it is SO ferocious when at a high SOC and lower speed.

I am very close to pulling the trigger on a P3D. I have heard that the maximum torque decreases with the battery level. Is this drop in performance very noticeable? I hope not.

This is a great car and I can't wait for delivery. Looking to order in the middle of May.

Thanks in advance.

Gabriel
Why does it matter, even near empty, it's going to be better than most anything out there. Don't assume that 10% means slower than a school bus.

Thanks in advance.

Gabriel

Take a look at the data these folks took. The video at the end of the page is a good summary.
Tesla Model 3 Dyno Testing At Various SOC