Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

R&R air suspension, now light knocking/rattle from front on P85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's says: SB-18-31-009 at the top of the page. Here's a photo of what I did to isolate the noise.

Attachments

• IMG_8585.jpg
    IMG_8585.jpg
    582.6 KB · Views: 134
It's says: SB-18-31-009 at the top of the page. Here's a photo of what I did to isolate the noise.
I’m familiar with that issue, it’s certainly been the topic of enough threads. It is isolated to 2016.5 and newer S/X. The rattle the thread is about was specific to aftermarket struts that have a different size and shape overall, as seen in pictures.

Any wear part between two non-wear parts will get worn out, leaving a sizable gap in its wake. The rubber bushings are clever but you’ll need shims (wafers or washers) for that solution to be once and done. Maybe a few dense polymer washers?

I’m familiar with that issue, it’s certainly been the topic of enough threads. It is isolated to 2016.5 and newer S/X. The rattle the thread is about was specific to aftermarket struts that have a different size and shape overall, as seen in pictures.

Any wear part between two non-wear parts will get worn out, leaving a sizable gap in its wake. The rubber bushings are clever but you’ll need shims (wafers or washers) for that solution to be once and done. Maybe a few dense polymer washers?
Yeah I was thinking of swapping them with something more dense. Not sure where to look.

Yeah I was thinking of swapping them with something more dense. Not sure where to look.
Searching for washers on Amazon is a breeze, the top portion of search becomes drop down menus with different icons for each washer type to narrow down your search.
I’ve always wondered about stacking these little fiber washers bc they absorb vibration/sound while being rigid. Even sandwiching thin rubber between each fiber washer, stacking 5-6mm, it should be durable and (hopefully) a solution.
6083655F-4512-45D3-8E72-71950EFD251D.jpeg