Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remanufactured battery and PEM - "historical significance"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting to know my new-to-me 2008 Roadster 1.5 #243. I am the second owner and the car was delivered to me in apparently pristine condition with only 854 miles driven by the original owner in over 6 years of ownership (vehicle birth date per the log was Feb 2009 and first owner took possession April 2009). I am interested in understanding the "historical significance" of the labels below on the PEM and battery, respectively. Does "Remanufactured" indicate that both the PEM and the battery are definitely not original? - i.e., could a new vehicle have come with these remanufactured components (seems unlikely) or does this mean that these major components were unquestionably replaced at one point for sure (seems likely)? Yet with only 854 miles of driving by the first owner, it seems a little surprising that it would have required a PEM and battery replacement.
The car is thus far performing brilliantly (after 1 month and over 1000 miles of spirited driving since I took possession), and I might add that the battery capacity seems impressive - consistent perhaps with a newer battery, though the PIA study would indicate that the low miles should have given me a very well-preserved battery anyway). After a little conditioning per guidance from the extremely helpful posts on this forum, I am getting over 200 miles ideal range after a standard charge and 244 on the one range charge I did.
In any event, I would like thoughts from the experts on the history of my vehicle given the "Remanufactured" labels on the PEM and battery. I should add that the Carfax report was squeaky clean and the inspection by Tesla in Burlingame found it to be in excellent mechanical condition.
RemanufactPEM1.5sticker.JPG
RemanufactBatterySticker.JPG

Does "Remanufactured" indicate that both the PEM and the battery are definitely not original?

That's correct. The remanufactured stickers and reapplication of the warranty void stickers indicate that Tesla swapped out the original. Most likely a catastrophic fault originated in one component causing the other to fail as well. They could have failed at separate times, but likelihood is lower. You should be able to contact Tesla and pull up the service history to get the full history on your ride and then you'll know the documented true history.

df said:
I am getting to know my new-to-me 2008 Roadster 1.5 #243
I own #268, so not that much older than yours, and still enjoy every single moment driving it. You're also right up the coast from me.

dfg said:
I am getting over 200 miles ideal range after a standard charge and 244 on the one range charge I did.

Take note that after performing a "standard mode" charge, you'll need to allow the batter pack / ESS to balance itself for at least 30mins to 1 hour afterwards. Your ideal miles is not a true reading / valid if you pulled the miles reading that's under that balancing time. For range mode, you can take the ideal miles reading immediately after the charge has completed. At 244 miles in range mode the pack appears to be as healthy as when it was new.

Lastly, a better gauge of battery health is the CAC value. One way to get this information is to pull the logs and run it through a log parser. There are threads on that.

Last edited: