Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return the car, do I get initial deposit back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Suppose I put in an order for a Model 3. For whatever reason, they don't deliver my car until after the New Year, so I don't get the full $7500 tax credit. If I return the car within that first 24 hours, do I get back the initial $2500 deposit or do I give that up?

Suppose I put in an order for a Model 3. For whatever reason, they don't deliver my car until after the New Year, so I don't get the full $7500 tax credit. If I return the car within that first 24 hours, do I get back the initial $2500 deposit or do I give that up?
Tesla’s Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement clearly states your $2,500 Order payment is NOT a refundable deposit once a VIN has been assigned. Bottom line according to Tesla contract- once they match up your configuration to a 3, you will lose your $2,500 no matter what. I even called to ask if I was putting my $3,500 at risk (since my Day 1 $1,000 Reservation payment was added automatically to my “deposit” when I configured my MR 3 on 10/21/18), and Tesla confirmed all $3,500 will be 100% non-refundable once they confirm my 3 is in production (well before they even give me a VIN). Also, Tesla never calls this down payment a deposit.

Reactions: outdoors
Thanks for your thoughts. Doesn't sound like it's a good strategy. Looks like I should either pick up an MR 3 at Fremont for the best chance of getting the full credit or see if there are any LRs available in inventory.
Yes, being in CA, you appear to have the luxury to guarantee your own full tax credit by NYE. Going with an existing LR seems like a great option, or planning to pick up a MR should also work out.

Since I’m in Iowa, I am taking more of a leap of faith. But I’m pretty sure my MR 3 will load on a semi sometime in Nov and make the 2-day trek on I80 to Chicago. My only fear (biggest risk) is if Tesla chooses the railroad for freight, as UP and BNSF are more likely to mess up delivery as their freight gets garbled up in a random RR yard during the Christmas toy rush!

While past performance is no guarantee of future results, when Ontario pulled their tax credits, Tesla offered any one waiting a full refund of their down payment if they wanted to cancel their order. While that situation was a little different as it was an unknown end date, my guess is that Tesla would offer the same for anyone who could not get their car by 12/31 (as long as you ordered within the time frame they are stating on the order screen):

All customers are eligible for the full $7,500 Federal Tax Credit if they take delivery by the end of the year. Current delivery timelines are 4 weeks for the west coast, 6 weeks for central and 8 weeks for the east coast. For delivery under 4 weeks, you can pick up your car directly from our Fremont factory.

Situation dependent. I rejected cars due to paint issues and was told verbally both onsite/phone that I can take full refund (including deposit/reservation fee) if I opt to cancel in the end. Not sure about the Doc fee but I’m sure that’s included because I never took delivery.
If the sole reason to cancel is for not getting full tax credit then that’s different.

Tesla’s Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement clearly states your $2,500 Order payment is NOT a refundable deposit once a VIN has been assigned. Bottom line according to Tesla contract- once they match up your configuration to a 3, you will lose your $2,500 no matter what. I even called to ask if I was putting my $3,500 at risk (since my Day 1 $1,000 Reservation payment was added automatically to my “deposit” when I configured my MR 3 on 10/21/18), and Tesla confirmed all $3,500 will be 100% non-refundable once they confirm my 3 is in production (well before they even give me a VIN). Also, Tesla never calls this down payment a deposit.

I have been told the $2,500 is non-refundable but if you have the $1,000 reservation that is fully refundable at any time. Then again this is Tesla and you get a different answer from every person you talk to.

I have been told the $2,500 is non-refundable but if you have the $1,000 reservation that is fully refundable at any time. Then again this is Tesla and you get a different answer from every person you talk to.
I agree that there are endless Tesla quotes that my $1k is fully refundable. But when I called Tesla and spoke to someone to request my $1k res dep back, the same Tesla guy told me my Day1 res no longer earned me anything (eg, better queue, free 3 die-cast, a sticker with Elon’s pic, Mars dust) so I was probably smart to get my $1k back in case my 3 didn’t arrive to me in the Midwest by NYE.

Then he said I’d have to change my order - and risk further delay - if I wanted to bifurcate my $1,000 res pmt from my $2,500 order pmt (that Tesla’s ordering system automatically combines)! Since a 12/31/18 delivery (if I’m so lucky) is already over 1,000 days of waiting, I chose to cause no further delay and roll the dice!

Tesla is going to agressively deliver as many vehicles as it possibly can before EOY.

People waiting until the last possible moment may find that they will be delivered in 2019.

If you absolutely require the tax credit, you should have been ordering last month.

Some may find if they can be flexible and accept a second choice color or some other configuration they may stll be able to get delivered in time.

Some in Congress are working hard at getting the credit extended past EOY, but no guarantee they will be successful.