Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip to Alaska

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to do this trip, too, one day.

I have read and watched YouTube videos of a couple of folks who have driven the Alaska Highway through Canada to Alaska. There's even an example of a father-son trip in a Chevy Bolt. You can find them by searching.

From what I recall, you can make it surprisingly far north by using CSS or CHADeMo adapters, and also spending the night in the few hotels or towns with Level 2 chargers. However, after a certain point there are a stretch of a few hundred miles where you will have to rely on campgrounds with 240-volt hookups, which means either hanging out for several hours each day, or sleeping in your car while you charge overnight. Be sure to bring ALL the possible types of charging cable adapters.

I think you would have to allow more than a week even in an ICE vehicle, and charging at 50kW and then on the equivalent of Level 2 would probably double whatever the ICE time would be. On the bright side, if there is only one charging option for a hundred miles, it will be pretty easy to verify if it is open and working ;) .

Good luck, and please share what you find out from other sources.

• Love
Reactions: Dangaurd_Ace
Anyone ever made a trip Alaska from either the Lower 48 or Canada? It looks to me either route becomes a Supercharger desert along the AL Can (is it still called that?) highway. Are there reliable CCS chargers along that route? Terrible place to plan on a CCS site only to find it isn’t working :-(
We did this in a BOLT towing a camper, went to anchorage via washington state, put together a bag of adapters of every plug ever made. we hit campgrounds (largest charger network) and anyplace with lights on....we had a so/so schedule, but we were able to charge with CCS and Chademo (adapter). its doable. what part of alaska are you planning? you can also cheat and go into washington and take the ferry up to anchorage, there's a bunch of chargers there.
Good luck...be adventureous

Reactions: vanjwilson
AAhhh. I wish I had

Anyways, heading to Alaska from the Lower 48 or Canada is a cool adventure! The Alaska-Canada Highway (yeah, still called the Al-Can) is scenic but can be a bit sparse on charging spots. While there aren't a ton of Tesla Superchargers along the way, there are some, and they're expanding.

As for CCS chargers (for non-Tesla electric vehicles), it's a bit trickier. You might find some, but they're not as common as Superchargers. Plus, reliability can be hit or miss. Imagine planning your stop only to find the charger is out of order — major bummer. So, definitely double-check your charging options and maybe have a backup plan just in case. Happy travels!

If you search the forum you should be able to find others that have done the trip as well as some notes on creative charging locations, like a welding shop if you call ahead.
I did the trip from Seattle to Anchorage in ‘86 took me 5 days and I was hauling “A”. I’m sure the road has improved, hopefully no “pavement brakes “. Did it in early September, man those frost heaves were brutal, grabbed some air in a few of them. Absolutely beautiful trip!

• Love
Reactions: Dangaurd_Ace
If you search the forum you should be able to find others that have done the trip as well as some notes on creative charging locations, like a welding shop if you call ahead.
I did the trip from Seattle to Anchorage in ‘86 took me 5 days and I was hauling “A”. I’m sure the road has improved, hopefully no “pavement brakes “. Did it in early September, man those frost heaves were brutal, grabbed some air in a few of them. Absolutely beautiful trip!
love the AVATAR/UNIT PATCH....spy vs spy right there