Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

road trip to Mammoth October 1st week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, we are planning on a road trip from LA to Mammoth October 1-4. Snow apparently starts mid-october and I do not have chains currently, but we are planning the trip with kids. Should I be worried about snow conditions that requires chains in October? I have never driven a MX in Snow and with chains, so I was curious if I should be prepared or that chance of snow is 0% in first week of October? Thanks!

I’ve traveled to Mammoth right around 1 October for four different years.
Except for a very freak event, I don’t think you will have any issue with snow at all. I do recommend that you possibly go farther north from Mammoth, Because that is a wonderful time of year to view the fall colors of the leaf changing.
Here is info. Bishop Fall Colors | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Report
You and your kids might enjoy the metal sculptures south of Lone Pine. It is a smooth dirt road, and about a 15 minute distraction you view from the car. Statues of Highway 395: Social Commentary & Art in the Desert - California Through My Lens

Last edited:
Reactions: Shareth23
It is rare to even need chains, and super rare that time of year. Having said that, last year was a doozy. If you plan on driving into the mountains December onwards, definitely get a set of “chains” (these days they are usually bands for vehicles like Teslas), and practice putting them on AND off in your warm garage before heading out.

Btw, some car hygiene tips if you do end up driving during a time that chains are required. Put the vehicle on HIGH suspension as often as you can just to give more wheel well room for the inevitable snow accumulation that’ll happen there. And when you stop at your destination, use your snow scraper (you have one, right? Buy one at the same time you buy chains), to knock off the wheel well snow accumulation (a garage makes this much easier). For those who live in snowy parts of the world, this is obvious, but us southern CA residents forget such things (as I did, much to my chagrin since I grew up in Canada, and ended up trashing my wheel wells due to neglect during a particularly heavy snow storm last epic ski season - Tesla Ranger service had to fix them for me when I got back).

Reactions: Shareth23
Hi, we are planning on a road trip from LA to Mammoth October 1-4. Snow apparently starts mid-october and I do not have chains currently, but we are planning the trip with kids. Should I be worried about snow conditions that requires chains in October? I have never driven a MX in Snow and with chains, so I was curious if I should be prepared or that chance of snow is 0% in first week of October? Thanks!
Hey there!

Considering a road trip to Mammoth in early October is a great plan! While snow is less likely during this time, it's always good to be prepared, especially with kids on board.

For a Tesla Model X, having a set of snow chains on hand is a wise precaution. TESERY offers reliable and easy-to-use snow chains designed specifically for various Tesla models, including the Model X. You can check out their options here:Tesla Model X Snow Chains.

It's true that the chance of significant snowfall in early October is relatively low, but mountain weather can be unpredictable. Having the chains gives you peace of mind, and they're straightforward to install if needed.