Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safe-lite changed driver door glass now door open button doesn't work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Excaliber

Supporting Member
Jul 18, 2023
Buffalo
When I bought my Dec 2021 Model S Plaid Refresh from Carmax in August the driver door had some tiny chips.
Today Safe Lite removed the door panel and replaced the door glass at Carmax and somehow the door open button stopped working.
I used the manual handle and get a message saying manual door release used.
Everything otherwise works fine with the window going down the 1/2 inch then up when I close the door.

I see there's a Factory Reset button under Service but I'm not sure this will fix the problem.

Should I call Tesla Service?
Any help would be appreciated.

I've taken the door panel off my '21 Refresh to replace the side mirror. There are 4 special bolts to remove and then some clips (couple YouTube videos are online with decent instructions). Anyway, they may have neglected to reattach a wire. Are your windows still working?

Also, I had a strange situation where passenger door open button stopped working and scheduled Tesla service appointment to fix. Then I happen to get a firmware download, and the reset fixed the door button. So you might also just have a software glitch.

The Factory Reset button won't help (just erases all settings). I would start by going to wheel and tire settings, and changing to a different setup (19" or 21" opposite of what you have installed). Reset the installed tires then go back and change it to your proper size. This will force a reset for the car. There is also a way to use Service menu to request firmware download, but that's more involved.

If you can't get it to work with reset noted above, it can't hurt to schedule service under warranty. It's not your concern the glass was replaced; just schedule service and say the button is not working to open door.

I've taken the door panel off my '21 Refresh to replace the side mirror. There are 4 special bolts to remove and then some clips (couple YouTube videos are online with decent instructions). Anyway, they may have neglected to reattach a wire. Are your windows still working?

Also, I had a strange situation where passenger door open button stopped working and scheduled Tesla service appointment to fix. Then I happen to get a firmware download, and the reset fixed the door button. So you might also just have a software glitch.

The Factory Reset button won't help (just erases all settings). I would start by going to wheel and tire settings, and changing to a different setup (19" or 21" opposite of what you have installed). Reset the installed tires then go back and change it to your proper size. This will force a reset for the car. There is also a way to use Service menu to request firmware download, but that's more involved.

If you can't get it to work with reset noted above, it can't hurt to schedule service under warranty. It's not your concern the glass was replaced; just schedule service and say the button is not working to open door.
The power windows work and the light for the open button works and the service guy said there was only 1 connector.
He said something about clearing codes or something.
As it so happens I just got a notice of a software update so I will do that later today and see how it goes.
I can also try your tire reset trick as well.
If I call Tesla Service I won't tell them about the glass replacement.

When mine stopped working the symbol was no longer lit. The firmware update fixed it. Good luck.
Ok
I just checked and the software update did not fix it.
I'll try the wheel size trick but if that doesn't work I'll have to call Tesla.
Hopefully they can just send a mobile tech otherwise they have a Service Center in Rochester which is 60 miles away.