Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setting up HPWC outside in my driveway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plan on setting up a my HPWC on the side of my house near my driveway. My plan is to use a 60 amp breaker and either 6 gauge THHN wire for my line 1 & 2 along with a 10 gauge THHN for my ground OR a 4 gauge THNN wire for my line 1 & 2 with a 8 gauge THHN ground. I will be using 1” liquidtight flexible non-metallic PVC conduit to run my wires from my 200 amp service panel through my basement and out to the side of my house. The reason i plan on using liquidtight instead of EMT is because it should be much easier to maneuver.

Any thoughts on this configuration? Should i use 6 gauge or 4 gauge for my line voltage? Are my ground wire gauges appropriate for my 60 amp breaker? I know you should not use Romex 6-2 with a 60 amp breaker.

Thanks

I plan on setting up a my HPWC on the side of my house near my driveway. My plan is to use a 60 amp breaker and either 6 gauge THHN wire for my line 1 & 2 along with a 10 gauge THHN for my ground OR a 4 gauge THNN wire for my line 1 & 2 with a 8 gauge THHN ground. I will be using 1” liquidtight flexible non-metallic PVC conduit to run my wires from my 200 amp service panel through my basement and out to the side of my house. The reason i plan on using liquidtight instead of EMT is because it should be much easier to maneuver.

Any thoughts on this configuration? Should i use 6 gauge or 4 gauge for my line voltage? Are my ground wire gauges appropriate for my 60 amp breaker? I know you should not use Romex 6-2 with a 60 amp breaker.

Thanks

6 gauge for conductors and 10 gauge for ground are just fine. 1” conduit is big enough.

Reactions: KJD
Price out 4 gauge and decide for yourself if the cost is modest enough to justify the future proofing.
Are you going to be kicking yourself in a few years when you want to have 2 EVs sharing a breaker. What if a friend has a older S or X that can take 72-80amps and wants to visit.

If you actually look at the cost to upsize a little I think you will go for it. Breakers are easily swapped later, so I would consider that to be the least important component to consider oversizing, running new wire is a hassle.

Here's a video of how I built my driveway charging station. I had to run 85 feet of 6/3 wire to mine. I used 3/4" conduit and sealed the sections with RTV. I would suggest using 1 inch pipe, it'll be easier to get the wires through it and around the bends.

If you are setting your HPWC to 48 amps I would use 4 gauge instead of 6.

Reactions: byeLT4 and KJD