Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solid Roof Shade Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my new MYLR on Monday and living in South Florida, even though it has been raining these past few days, I already felt the immense heat coming from the roof. I love the glass roof don't get me wrong, but I know that on a bright sunny South Florida day, my a/c will be kicking full blast! Can anyone recommend a roof shade that is solid (I've been seeing lots of mesh ones, but have yet to find solid one) for those days where I don't want to waste my whole battery with the a/c going at max speed lol? thank you!!

I feel your pain so to speak. I can tell you just having the windows tinted made a HUGE difference on my car. It has already been in the mid 90's here and I could immediately tell the difference. I had already put in a roof sunshade and the tint made a much bigger difference. Now I think I will take out the roof sunshade so I can actually enjoy the amazing view.

Reactions: Nolegirl01
I feel your pain so to speak. I can tell you just having the windows tinted made a HUGE difference on my car. It has already been in the mid 90's here and I could immediately tell the difference. I had already put in a roof sunshade and the tint made a much bigger difference. Now I think I will take out the roof sunshade so I can actually enjoy the amazing view.
Yeah we're definitely getting some tints done as well. I can definitely feel the heat especially with my white seats as well :)

After putting up the shade, it does a good job blocking the heat so to speak. Without it, my car was hitting 131F for internal temps on average at the hottest point. With the shade in, just the mesh part, without the reflective one, it dropped to about 120F. WIth the tint on all the windows but the roof. I was at 108F today.

I am taking off the roof shade and seeing how hot it gets this week. It really blocks a lot of the light and I miss the open aspect of the roof without it.

After putting up the shade, it does a good job blocking the heat so to speak. Without it, my car was hitting 131F for internal temps on average at the hottest point. With the shade in, just the mesh part, without the reflective one, it dropped to about 120F. WIth the tint on all the windows but the roof. I was at 108F today.

I am taking off the roof shade and seeing how hot it gets this week. It really blocks a lot of the light and I miss the open aspect of the roof without it.
Did you tint the roof as well? I didn't want to tint the roof because I'm scared it will be too dark. How does yours feel? I still want to be able to see and feel the openness of the car so that's why I thought the roof shade was a happy medium for the times when it was just unbearably hot and in the winter I can just put it away.

I didn't do the roof but really plan on doing it now. The sunshade just blocks too much. I will put 70% on the roof, like I did the windshield, as you can hardly tell it is there but really lessens the sun coming through. Definitely worth doing it now seeing how much the tint already helped and I want my roof back so to speak.

The sunshade, even being perforated, totally blocks too much at night. It does its job too well I guess for me.

I didn't do the roof but really plan on doing it now. The sunshade just blocks too much. I will put 70% on the roof, like I did the windshield, as you can hardly tell it is there but really lessens the sun coming through. Definitely worth doing it now seeing how much the tint already helped and I want my roof back so to speak.

The sunshade, even being perforated, totally blocks too much at night. It does its job too well I guess for me.
Yeah that might be a good idea. Not too much, but just enough that it will help with the heat.

How about a full foam (with headliner) roof insert for Canada owners so they don't have heat loss in the winter? I don't have to worry about that in Arkansas, but I always thought that an un-insulated glass roof would be bad in very hot or very cold areas compared to a meatal roof with insulation and headliner.

Keith

Reactions: DM 171950
Got my new MYLR on Monday and living in South Florida, even though it has been raining these past few days, I already felt the immense heat coming from the roof. I love the glass roof don't get me wrong, but I know that on a bright sunny South Florida day, my a/c will be kicking full blast! Can anyone recommend a roof shade that is solid (I've been seeing lots of mesh ones, but have yet to find solid one) for those days where I don't want to waste my whole battery with the a/c going at max speed lol? thank you!!
This has been posted many times but dropping it here again in yet another sunshade thread.

This has been posted many times but dropping it here again in yet another sunshade thread.

Yup. as the guy in the video says the roof absorbs the solar radiation and TINT will not make much if any difference... that solar radiation is absorbed and then after the car has been sitting in the sun for a while you have a baking hot sheet of glass over your head radiating thermal energy into the cabin / onto your head. If I pull out of my garage into a bright sunny day, there is very little heat from above due to the factory heat rejection... after the car has been sitting in the sun for a while the glass itself heats up and radiates this heat into the cabin. A physical barrier between the glass and the cabin cuts down on this thermal load by a huge amount.

So, go ahead and post this up in the "should I tint my roof" threads... but you are doing a disservice by posting it up on the sun shade threads.

Keith

Last edited:
Reactions: RocDeef and WADan
Yup. as the guy in the video says the roof absorbs the solar radiation and TINT will not make much if any difference... that solar radiation is absorbed and then you have a baking hot sheet of glass over your head radiating thermal energy into the cabin / onto your head. A physical barrier between the glass and the cabin cuts down on this thermal load by a huge amount.

So, go ahead and post this up in the "should I tint my roof" threads... but you are doing a disservice by posting it up on the sun shade threads.

Keith
Even in the PNW, the roof shade helps tremendously in the summer!
Yes, this looks like a great design. Please try it out and report back. Thanks!

Yup. as the guy in the video says the roof absorbs the solar radiation and TINT will not make much if any difference... that solar radiation is absorbed and then after the car has been sitting in the sun for a while you have a baking hot sheet of glass over your head radiating thermal energy into the cabin / onto your head. If I pull out of my garage into a bright sunny day, there is very little heat from above due to the factory heat rejection... after the car has been sitting in the sun for a while the glass itself heats up and radiates this heat into the cabin. A physical barrier between the glass and the cabin cuts down on this thermal load by a huge amount.

Keith
Accurate, but have you not seen the "I'm going to tint my roof" posts that inevitably follow in EVERY sun shade discussion thread?

You'll also note I said nothing negative regarding adding a sun shade in terms of it adding value. It's a thermal barrier for something that naturally gets hot as you said.