Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some Model 3 user interface Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2023 Tesla Model 3 RWD running software version 2024.20.1 and FSD 12.3.6 (and I’m told my software is fully up to date).

— Why don’t I have the hands free trunk option available to me (nothing in the Locks settings)?

— When I try to access my Calendar in the car, I’m told to keep the Tesla mobile app running on my iPhone (it always is) and to give the app access to my calendar. But there is no option in Settings that I can see to provide the mobile app with access to the calendar.

— I play music via Bluetooth directly from my iPhone. So there is no way for me to control music selection from the Tesla? (I’m always instructed to choose music to play on my iPhone because the Tesla seemingly has no access to songs, albums, and playlists on my phone.

— When I press the voice command button to “text Sally” (my spouse), the touchscreen displays a list of Sally’s, and forces me to tap one (and therefore take my eyes off the road). Is there no way to control this from the steering wheel or to inform my Tesla who I’m referring to when I say “Sally” (the way I can on my iPhone)?

Thank you!

Last edited:
I was wondering the same re: hands free truck/hatch, but from what I have read, no Model Y has the hardware necessary to make it work. Specifically:

"Tesla’s innovation streak remains robust as it rolls out its latest feature: the “Hands-Free Trunk,” designed to enhance convenience for its users. This touchless trunk opening technology is part of Tesla’s Spring Update (2024.14) and is specifically available for newer models equipped with Ultra-Wide Band (UWB) technology."

I've read you can get iPhone/Apple Watch or Android apps that will provide a hands free truck option for non UWB models, but I haven't looked into it.

I was wondering the same re: hands free truck/hatch, but from what I have read, no Model Y has the hardware necessary to make it work. Specifically:

"Tesla’s innovation streak remains robust as it rolls out its latest feature: the “Hands-Free Trunk,” designed to enhance convenience for its users. This touchless trunk opening technology is part of Tesla’s Spring Update (2024.14) and is specifically available for newer models equipped with Ultra-Wide Band (UWB) technology."

I've read you can get iPhone/Apple Watch or Android apps that will provide a hands free truck option for non UWB models, but I haven't looked into it.
Not sure how an iPhone app could provide hands free trunk if the car itself lacks UWB.

Why don’t I have the hands free trunk option available to me (nothing in the Locks settings)?
Because no pre highland model 3s have the hands free option for trunk (meaning nothing before model year 2024 in the US)
When I try to access my Calendar in the car, I’m told to keep the Tesla mobile app running on my iPhone (it always is) and to give the app access to my calendar. But there is no option in Settings that I can see to provide the mobile app with access to the calendar.
Open app -- Tap 3 lines in top right to access menu--Tap your name at the top (or whatever it is for your profile)--tap "calendar sync" slider button at bottom of screen.
I play music via Bluetooth directly from my iPhone. So there is no way for me to control music selection from the Tesla? (I’m always instructed to choose music to play on my iPhone because the Tesla seemingly has no access to songs, albums, and playlists on my phone.
I dont play music via bluetooth but I dont think you can select anything but forward or back.
When I press the voice command button to “text Sally” (my spouse), the touchscreen displays a list of Sally’s, and forces me to tap one (and therefore take my eyes off the road). Is there no way to control this from the steering wheel or to inform my Tesla who I’m referring to when I say “Sally” (the way I can on my iPhone)?
No, there is no way to voice command "text Sally, mobile" or anything like you can with an iPhone. Your options here:

1. Separate "Sally" into a couple of different contacts, each with only 1 phone number. Name them slightly different. Then you can use voice commands in the car to say one of them for text, or for phone calls.

Or

2. Pick up your phone, use the phones voice command button (whatever it is on your phone), and use the phones voice command button to send the text (or call the contact). The phone call will still come through the car speakers, however accessing your phone voice commands through the car will look like your on a phone call in the car (with the phone call interface in the card area).

Reactions: Jangy and MAPekala
Not sure how an iPhone app could provide hands free trunk if the car itself lacks UWB.
Not sure either, but I have read several articles claiming it can be done with shortcuts. But it's not crucial for me, so I haven't tried it.

Tesla Now Supports Apple’s Siri Shortcuts to Control Your Car - TeslaNorth.com

Tesla has rolled out a new update, 4.24.0, for its iOS app, introducing integration with Apple’s Shortcuts app. This enhancement allows Tesla owners to execute various vehicle commands simply by asking Siri on their iPhone or Apple Watch.