Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel "clicked" mid-turn and now wheel is cocked to the right

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings All,

I had something weird happen to my Model 3 Performance today. I was taking my local highway on-ramp at speed (turning to the right) and I felt a “click” through the steering wheel. The click felt like it came from somewhere right behind the wheel or in the steering column. I had never felt anything like that before and it was quite odd. After finally entering the highway I noticed that while the car was tracking perfectly straight, the steering wheel is now cocked a few degrees to the right.

The steering wheel has always been dead on straight while driving straight. Also, on AP the blue wheel icon on the screen now shows a couple of degrees clockwise of center.

I submitted a bug report right after the episode and have scheduled a service appointment for this coming week, but I’m interested if anyone has had something similar happen to their Model 3.

Thoughts?

Thank you for your responses. I called my local service center and asked if it was okay to drive the car from now until my appointment on Thursday. The SC employee didn't seem surprised at the description of the issue and told me that I was fine to drive the car. With that being said, I think I'll keep the car in the garage until my appointment anyway. I'll update as more information becomes available.

Update: I took my car into service and they duplicated the cocked wheel concern, tested other Model 3's and found the steering column "slack" to be normal, and performed a 4 wheel alignment and torqued suspension bolts and steering rack. Steering wheel is straight now.

Mod3Alignment.JPG
Mod3 SVC Description.JPG