Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperCharger Short Visits Beneficial?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will likely order a Model 3 within the next 2-3 weeks.

I have been reading about best practices relating to charging the battery to ensure long term health.

The key points seem to be:
-Maintain SOC between 20-80%
-Avoid 100% / 0% SOC
-Frequent slow and shallow charging

The last point implies that frequent use of SuperChargers may not be the most beneficial practice.

The main reason for this may be related to the heat buildup in the battery that naturally occurs when using the SuperCharger.

Which leads to my question: Assuming the above is generally correct, would it be better to use a SuperCharger for short duration - e.g., maximum 10 minute charging session (assuming <80% SOC)? My thought is that the the shorter duration essentially lessens the time that the battery would be subject to the higher temperatures associated with the SuperCharger.

Thoughts?

I'm not a LiON battery expert and I don't play one on TV, but I think the base assumption is not correct.

The power management and temperature management system on Tesla batteries is very sophisticated. The problem with temperature management is more acute at the upper end of the SoC, above 80% it takes more work to dissipate heat. You have that part correct but I don't believe that the duration of the charge is an issue. For example, if you charger for 20 minutes to a SOC of 70%, I doubt there is a measurable impact on batter health over the short term.

If your only choice is SuperCharger charging I would charger to 80% routinely regardless of the beginning SOC.

On road trips, the optimum charging strategy to to arrive with a 10% charge and leave with 60% charge.

Though your departure charge is really a function of ensuring you arrive at your next Supercharger with a 10% charge, so it might be higher accordingly.

The best experience with EVs is to charge at home or work and not to use fast chargers except when travelling.

Charging every day at a Supercharger is pretty much the furthest thing there is from making a EV a great experience.

The intent of Tesla is to make the car something that is better than an ICE, not one that takes more effort.

All that said, the batter will do a pretty good job to take care of itself. It's well supported to take a long trip and Supercharger the entire way. BUT, in daily use, if the car and battery is hot, it has been recommended to allow the battery to cool a little before charging.
Once the battery is not really hot, you should be good to charge, no need to take short spurts, the car will slow the charging if it feels the need to.

So yes, I don't think that there is a question that consistent use of Superchargers is not recommended.
No, no indication that short spurts of charging is better.

You'll also need to remember that the rules are a little different in the heat than the cold.

Recommendations
  • Don't Supercharger all the time
  • Periodic Supercharging is fine
  • Supercharging use, especially regularly and especially in CA, is the worse experience for an EV owner.
  • Don't worry about the battery

I visit Superchargers only when travelling. I never worry about my car being charged. I plug in at home when I need to. I spend a LOT less time refueling than I did with my ICE.