Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla May Have Finally (and Silently) Fixed Automatic A/C After Years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the last couple weeks, I was pleased to notice that the fan speed and airflow have started to consistently remain automatic after I turned off the compressor while the A/C was running it full auto in my 2017 X. This is how automatic automotive A/C systems have worked for literally at least 20 years now, and it is how my very same X worked prior to the v10 upgrade in 2018. I haven't yet tested whether the fan speed and compressor remain automatic after adjusting the airflow direction or whether the airflow direction and compressor remain automatic after adjusting the fan speed, but I'm cautiously optimistic that some thought was actually put into fixing it all recently. For anyone affected by this behavior (or lack thereof), it was definitely NOT present in 2022.12, and my next version was 2022.20, so it seems to have been fixed prior to any 2022.21 version, to say the least.

As an aside, I'm sure a certain X owner whom I won't tag that happens to have a Scrat avatar and the handle "SabrToothSqrl" will be pleased to know that his XM favorites could be sorted in less than 4 years.

I've noticed this weird thing where for some random reason it kicks the AC on if the cabin temp exceeds 80 but its ~50-65 outside.
I just want it on auto and not kick the A/C on and blow cold air when its cold outside 🥲
if i uncheck A/C it turns auto mode off
if i turn the climate off completely i cant leave the seats on auto hot/cool
weird stuff. i feel like the prius climate control on auto is superior than the X :|

Sounds like you are either in 3/Y land or the Palladium S/X have automatic seats as well. My description above involves the Legacy X/S, which have a different UI Than what you are describing. As of one of my recent upgrades, I can touch the A/C button to disable the compressor and the fan speed will remain greyed out because it is still automatic. It isn't a glictch, the fan speed still changes like it should. You don't mention your SW version, so hopefully you'll see his improvement (AKA correction of a regression introduced before your vehicle was produced) in the near future in spite of the differing interface.

That having been said, if you are complaining because the air gets too cold when this happens, as I expect to be the case, you are describing a usecase I lost at the end of 2018 and only re-gained in the last month. OTOH, if your concern is simply that it idicates the A/C is running, then you shouldn't be turning it off, as it could be running to prevent fogging of the windshield (where you simply wouldn't know your Prius was doing the same thing).