Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 2021 HDMI Interface options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now I know there has been an older post on this topic, but I was wondering if anyone has discovered ways to implement an HDMI interface into the newest Model 3. I've seen some that work for Model S/X, but the topic hasn't really progressed much from what I can see. I may be living in my car for the next few months and was wondering if anyone knew of anything that could work

I havent seen anything for model 3s at all... there isnt an HDMI interface in the vehicle anywhere so you would be looking at some third party solution. Premium connectivity is either free or 9.99 a month, and you can stream youtube, netflix, and hulu. 6 months of premium connectivity would cost $60, and I doubt very seriously even if there was an after market solution you wanted to put together, it would be less than paying for a few months of premium connectivity.

Upvote 0
I havent seen anything for model 3s at all... there isnt an HDMI interface in the vehicle anywhere so you would be looking at some third party solution. Premium connectivity is either free or 9.99 a month, and you can stream youtube, netflix, and hulu. 6 months of premium connectivity would cost $60, and I doubt very seriously even if there was an after market solution you wanted to put together, it would be less than paying for a few months of premium connectivity.
Personally, I would use it for possible plugging in an Xbox or maybe even a PC

Upvote 0
searching TMC, the only thread for the model 3 I see is this one:

I would start there if this is something you want, although I am thinking it wont be cheap.

Upvote 0
I have a solution, although imperfect it's FREE, minus the cost of a HDMI to USB Capture card.

I've used VDO.Ninja to bring my phone camera onto the browser with audio. You can call in from a laptop tethered to a cell phone, then use a cheap HDMI capture card to capture whatever you want: Amazon.com: Video Capture Card, 4K HDMI 1080P 60FPS Game Capture Device to Type C, forGaming Live Streaming Video Recorder, Compatible with Windows Mac OS for PS4,Switch,Xbox: Computers & Accessories

Here's a tutorial, just use the link pasted into OBS to pull in the feed into the tesla browser!

There will be some latency, but it's do-able without a lot of work and fuss, and completely wireless as long as you pay for the connectivity package

Upvote 0
Hello all. Been lingering on the site trying to gather as much information as possible. Finally got my M3 and loving every second of it. Hopefully by now the OP has already figured this out but for anyone else that happens to stumble on this thread, here you go. You can currently do this using an HDMI interface. I have it installed on my 2022 M3LR and it works flawlessly. Its a bit difficult to reach the MCU cable that you need to replace but its totally worth it. Coupled with an FM module you can get the sound to work seamlessly. I have it hooked up to a Chromecast right now and using my phone hotspot for internet. But possibilities are endless with this setup. Comes with IR remote and physical button to turn off/on and change PIP modes. Just know that I don't condone doing this while driving. Please be safe out there.

Attachments

• PXL_20240424_003452151.jpg
    PXL_20240424_003452151.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20240424_003442948.jpg
    PXL_20240424_003442948.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20240424_003405166.jpg
    PXL_20240424_003405166.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20240423_221136375.jpg
    PXL_20240423_221136375.jpg
    490.2 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0
Why FM module? The car have Bluetooth :p

The hdmi input works fine on new cars. But you don't (not currently) have the option to swap between rear camera and the hdmi input. It's a easy fix for people who know how to make it. But most people don't care.
I love the hdmi input. We have 360 camera and Chromecast. Using a hdmi switch.

Upvote 0
Why FM module? The car have Bluetooth :p

The hdmi input works fine on new cars. But you don't (not currently) have the option to swap between rear camera and the hdmi input. It's a easy fix for people who know how to make it. But most people don't care.
I love the hdmi input. We have 360 camera and Chromecast. Using a hdmi switch.
Well if you don't mind the noticeable sound delay then go ahead and use Bluetooth. Of not then use the fm module and everything works in realtime. You might want to direct that question to the guys over at evoffer. Im only providing the information that I have learned in hopes that i can help others.

Upvote 0
Well if you don't mind the noticeable sound delay then go ahead and use Bluetooth. Of not then use the fm module and everything works in realtime. You might want to direct that question to the guys over at evoffer. Im only providing the information that I have learned in hopes that i can help others.
I don’t notice lip sync issue with my phone playing YouTube when connected to Bluetooth. Would it be you are using non phone device that causes a delay?

Upvote 0