Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla one sweet company car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Tesla one sweet company car

This article appeared in this morning's Ottawa Citizen.

Hear the words "company car" and you think, standard office issue. Six cylinders. Four doors. Paint colour dictated by resale value. Maybe - if you're a manager - a sunroof.

Unless you work for the Dymon Group of companies. At this Ottawa concern, the employee rides are Toyota Prius gas-electric hybrids and full-electric Chevrolet Volts, all brightly wrapped in the corporate colours.

And for the executive suite ... sweet! An exotic Tesla Motors electric roadster and now a high-powered Tesla Model S luxury sedan. At Dymon, operator of a rapidly expanding chain of high-end self-storage centres - a concept it pretty much invented - the alternate-fuel vehicles are a public proclamation of a corporation-wide emphasis on the environment.

Thus the roadster bears the logo of Dymon Power, the division that sells electricity from solar panels atop company buildings to the Ontario grid. (Dymon says it will stick with solar even if the province's feed-in tariff program ends.)

to be fair for many people they are fully electric as silly as it seems. Many people never or rarely use the gas ... so even though they are carrying around a big unused gas engine they are only using the electric portion of their car most of the time.

I wonder how the weight of the Volt's engine compares to say the 85kW battery in the S?

Owning both, I can say I appreciate the range extender in the Volt. As an engineer I would love the challenge of creating a range extender + battery that was competitive with a huge battery but eliminated the range issue.