Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla paint options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wol747

Aug 26, 2017
Tea Gardens
This may have been posted before, but do all the Tesla paint colours behave the same regarding longevity?
There is one YouTube Model 3 review of a year old M3 in white, and the way the finish has degraded is frankly appalling. I saw somewhere that the Ca legislation mandates auto paint that has little resistance to what the weather will throw at it true or false?

I don't think the word choices used in the legislation exact say it that way. All manufacturers are living with changes dictated over environmental concerns. Even if you don't like it, your choices are buy the car, don't buy the car or have it painted again yourself.

I don't understand why you are asking the question. Why?

I don't think the word choices used in the legislation exact say it that way. All manufacturers are living with changes dictated over environmental concerns. Even if you don't like it, your choices are buy the car, don't buy the car or have it painted again yourself.

Tesla have been consistently nicked for subpar/inconsistent paint quality and application, hence why there are so many Youtube videos for ceramic coating or wrapping. I just think it's a bit absurd for someone to suggest you pay a few grand to paint your $50/90/100k brand new car. Some of these videos I've seen are Maaco-level jobs done by Tesla, most likely to rush them out to buyers.

Why am I asking the question? I would have thought it fairly evident: when I am about to spend $160,000 plus on a car and I see a video of a 12m old car by the same manufacturer which looks in places like a 15 year old model from China I think I do have a legitimate concern.

Anyway, thank you for your helpful comment "...your choices are buy the car, don't buy the car or have it painted again yourself."

What are you seeing degrade about the finish? I've heard our dealers say the paint has been blemished in spots prior to PPF install but I am curious what people are seeing trend over time?

I've heard several comments about poor durability of the Tesla finishes and am wondering if the paint colour has any bearing on it.
I saw one 12 month review on YouTube recently of a M3, white, and the degradation of parts of the paintwork was shocking. I can't remember the link to that video but it's one of the regular Tesla YouTube channels.

I've heard several comments about poor durability of the Tesla finishes and am wondering if the paint colour has any bearing on it.
I saw one 12 month review on YouTube recently of a M3, white, and the degradation of parts of the paintwork was shocking. I can't remember the link to that video but it's one of the regular Tesla YouTube channels.
We have 2 yo model 3 and (almost) 5 yo P85D. The paint is great on both. S has full front and skirt ppf, 3 just front. majority of issues I’ve seen are paint appears softer than some, particular when brand new. Ccquartz or other coating helps immensely.
my S was recently in for service and they couldn’t believe how well it has held up.
I would expect undue paint wear to be under warranty, eg 12 months <15 k miles, though 12 months 100k miles would be obviously out of warranty.
Also, don’t forget the negative is a lot rarely than some would have you believe, particularly shorts currently....

Some less-scrupulous detailers (especially those selling ceramic coatings) have been telling customers that Tesla paint is especially bad, especially "soft", or otherwise prone to degrading. Some even tried to claim that because the car is built in (painted in) California, that the paint isn't as good as cars painted elsewhere due to California's environmental regulations.

This is all untrue. As @Akikiki mentioned, all manufacturers have had to change paint formulas over the years, but the worst times were back in the early '90s (you've probably seen plenty of peeling white, silver, and blue paint from that time period).

At some point, people at Tesla got offended by the badmouthing and had us write a customer-facing Service Bulletin saying that the paint is equal or superior to other premium brands, and that it doesn't need overpriced coatings or anything else out of the ordinary, just apply a quality wax periodically. As an indication of how Tesla differs from other companies, the original text the lawyers wanted to use was super-snarky, and the technical writers actually toned it down a lot before publication.

I don't have the bulletin number, but I'm sure it's available on https://service.teslamotors.com/ (not that I'd recommend buying a subscription for this, but if you already have one...)

Note that I'm not claiming that ceramic coatings are worthless, just that Tesla paint is at least equal to other brands, if not superior. And if a detailer tries to tell you that your car's paint is uniquely inferior and it's going to horribly degrade unless you buy the magic product they're selling, keep on walking.