Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unifying the EV community

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reflecting on the emotional comments regarding public EV charging etiquette, it seems humahu hold polarizing viewpoints when dealing with a finite resource.
The fact remains that not everyone can afford a Tesla with its range capacity. Until the competition can catch up, our brothers and sisters who believe in electrifying their transportation mode will need easier access to plug in refueling. Hence, like Hunger Games, we find ourselves fighting amongst ourselves and not presenting a unified force to our legislature advocating for more energy plug in access.
London is developing an interesting method to address this need since a majority of residents apparently don't have access to residential charging (a situation i believe alot of our apt and condo residents face).
Read this blog piece regarding streetlight plug in and I wonder if thit is something our collective EV community can rally behind? What do you think?

Charging your electric vehicle from a lamp post has become a thing in London

Sorry, to be a bit misleading on posting this article link under "Unifying the EV Community, but after reviewing 15 pages of our other Hawaii threads, I could find nothing closer. The Oil industry vs. the electric car

Now, to the point. Here's an interesting article about Big Oil trying to stop Utility Power Companies from installing EV Charging Infrastructure. This is almost funny.

Some Utilities use fossil fuel - oil to make electricity and that electricity is used by EVs. Big Oil hates EVs, but wants to sell oil to utilities. Big Oil doesn't want utilities to sell electricity to EV owners because they are EV's no ICE - AND Big Oil doesn't want utilities installing charging infrastructure even though the utilities buys more oil to make the electricity used by those nasty EVs. Big Oil is trying to stop utilities from installing charging stations. Did I explain that right? How can anyone explain it? Regardless it looks like Big Oil is starting to worry.

Oh yeah, there's also the utilities that don't want EV owners to re-charge from solar unless the electricity from that solar comes from centralized solar versus rooftop (distributed) solar. So even the utilities' foe is Big Oil, the utilities are not our friend's either, since they want to fixed-fee us into a cost that neutralizes our home solar. Florida, huh? Not here, huh? Only a matter of time before our utility tries again.

Last edited:
I have no sympathy for businesses that fail to foresee their own extinction. HECO has a lot of smart people working there, but as an organization they lack the intelligence and vision to see that individual consumers' need for a public electric utility is being disrupted (like most of what Tesla touches).