Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading from Tesla Wall Connector v2 to v3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Tesla Wall Connector v2 at home and I need to upgrade to the v3 model. How difficult is this upgrade? Is it a simple switch, or are there significant differences between the two versions that I should be aware of? Also, would it be necessary to hire an electrician, or can someone with basic electrical knowledge handle it? Any tips or advice from those who have done this upgrade would be greatly appreciated!

Why do you “need to”?

Some say Gen 3 is worse because Gen 2 can go up to 80 amp charging.

Gen 3 adds wifi and app access but in all honestly the online controls and integration is pretty trash and pointless. Other EVSEs have far better app monitoring and customizable.

But to answer your question, if you’re comfortable with unscrewing and screwing in wires to terminals and have a proper torque wrench or torque screwdriver then it would be pretty straightforward. The only caveat is the amount of extra wire slack you have. The wire routing in the Gen 3 is supposed to loop around the entire back plate whereas it’s a much shorter wire run in the Gen 2. So if it’s too short you’ll likely need to consult an electrician to run some longer wire or relocate it to a different position (ie closer to the electrical box) to gain some extra length.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H