Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used 2019 P3D: Good deal or not?

Select your opinion on quality of deal

• Meh, I could do better. Cancel and wait.

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Just order new. Nothing to see here.

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Great deal, take it and don’t look back!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put money down with Tesla on what I think is a good deal on a slightly used (160 miles) black with white interior P3D.
It includes all the expected performance components including 20" wheels, aluminum pedals, upgraded brakes, and carbon fiber spoiler.
There were no actual pictures available from Tesla so the condition is unknown. Build date is unknown at this time as well but it’s listed as a 2019.

Cost: $53,100 (reduced 1,800 today from 54,900)
Unknowns: shipping disclaimer said it could cost up to $2,000, bumping the total cost to $55,100.
Best case saving on used compared to new (assuming $900 shipping): $3,740
Worst case savings compared to new ($2,000 shipping): $2,640
Order New: $57,740 (Black), $56,690 (white), $58,990 (red)

I was planning to order a new performance in either white, black, or red with white interior sometime in the next 2 weeks to time it with my lease return, unless I could find a P3D-. I saw this used deal and may have been slightly trigger happy so I’m now questioning whether it’s a good enough deal on a used car to warrant skipping a new car purchase. Financing will probably be a slightly higher rate as a result since it’s used.

What do you think, go used and don’t look back, keep waiting for a better deal, or just order a new one and get that factory new car smell? Thanks for any advice you’re willing to offer!

I'd not ship it. If I could not go eyeball it, and drive it home, I'd pass. SImple Highly likely there's nothing wrong with it. But the drive home is a great adventure. Why pass it up EVEN if the shipping is free? Understand?

Is it being sold as new or used? If used, it won't qualify for fed rebate and most likely won't qualify for state rebate.

Sold as used. No state rebate but you’re right on the fed tax credit. That’s another 1,875 going against the used car numbers, assuming I can change my deductions to owe more and take advantage of the credit.

Sold as used. No state rebate but you’re right on the fed tax credit. That’s another 1,875 going against the used car numbers, assuming I can change my deductions to owe more and take advantage of the credit.

No state tax credit, no federal tax credit (there are very few people who dont have 1875 in tax liability who can afford a tesla, but it does happen of course).

A car that only has 160 miles which is used... which likely means it was a return by someone else for "reasons". A demo car would likely have more miles on it (why would a store assign a demo car and only drive it 160 miles? My own test drive in december was almost 20 miles. Possible to be a demo. Much more likely to be a car someone bought that they returned.

Why anyone would want to buy a car at 50k sight unseen for only a 2k difference vs brand new I am not sure. "I" certainly wouldnt. 2k over the lifetime one will own a car is almost nothing.

If the difference was drastic (like 10k) I likely would.. because then if it had issues I could always remind myself of how much money I saved. For 2k that reminder would fall on my own deaf ears.

Reactions: sahs12
Thanks for the input everyone. We limit our tax liability and what we owe each year through limited deductions and other methods, but can make a small change to lead to more liability and take advantage of the credit.

If I included the loss of the tax credit, potential 2k shipping cost, unknown condition of the car, and proximity to the cost of brand new... plus black isn't my first option (it's white), I'm more clear on it and think I'll cancel and wait to order new.

The red flag for me on this one is that its technically used. That means it was titled and returned. People don't tend to do that unless the car is messed up somehow.

As another data point I was offered several demo cars at around 450 miles on the odometer. The discount was only 1600. They were all local to me. I ultimately passed as I didn't feel that was enough but it actually may be if you figure that most demo cars are pretty good in the tolerance department.

• Informative
Reactions: DrBranca