Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW launches electric truck production in Rio de Janeiro

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Roberto Cortes, CEO VW trucks and busses said that the electric trucks will be " about three times the price of diesel, depending on exchange rates"

One report says this factory will do worldwide supply, another says "Brazil" and a third says "Latin America"
Since this si the same vehicle that was to be launched around 2018 it seems likely they haven't a clue.

In Brazian coverage from O Globo and others there are some differences in supply chain also:

WEG- electric motors
Bosch- 'system automation'- undefined but that is the rtanslation
Maxion- chassis and wheels
Moura- battery packs (since 2020 Moura has had a 'partnership' with CATL with commercial vehicle complete battery packs as the focus. Moura staff have been entraining with CATL since then. The VW trucks are to have CATL packs which will be completed by Moura at another location in resend close by or within the VW truck plant location.

VW has built trucks in resend, Rio de Janeiro for decades. The entire plant is being 'rebuilt' as are the rest of the e-Consorcio facilities, in which the VW vehicles are actually built by suppliers working in the VW factory. They have contacted with GD Solar for installation at the factory of rooftop solar and with Seems and ABB for charging equipment.

In several reports CATL is said to be the supplier for motors, electrical systems and batteries. It seems probable that the list above is really correct.

• Informative
Reactions: alexgr and joh01652
quick search and I don't find any CATL electric motors - only batteries.
Many motor makers including Bosch & VW too.
The reports say the motors are from WEG. The separate report from which I extracted was written by people who know nothing about the subject so I suspect they took it as if the CATL role was actually coordinating the entire vehicle propulsion system.

Factually, CATL is providing the battery pack through Moura, their Brazilian partner, which is also the largest battery manufacturer in Brazil. Although the reports are ambiguous, I suspect all the rest is being done with traditional VAG suppliers so Bosch plays the role of Tier One systems integrator with WEG probably subordinate to Bosch and Maxion continuing with the chassis and wheels as they are already doing in Resende.

This is not a new vehicle, it is converting the existing product to be BEV.

My opinion, based on several local contacts is that VW is doing this primarily because Ambev insisted and a few others joined in. It seems to be more form than substance. I could easily be wrong.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando