Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waking Up time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some background: My area has little/no cell signal, so my phone and car are connected to WIFI.

First night with my M3. I left it charging over night. Was expecting push notification to tell me when its charged, but this morning I got nothing. So I opened up the app, it just says waking up for 2-3 mins then times out.

It seems to enable the “open trunk” button but nothing else in the app.

I’ve moved closer to the car (to downstairs, but its still in garage), still nothing. Only way I could get the app to work was walk to the car and unlock it.

Is my lack of cell coverage stopping this working? Do I need to go stand by it wake it up?

You only get a push notification that charging is complete when you’re at a supercharger, unless you set that in the app. The default is charging interrupted messages only. When charging at home most people don’t need to know when it completes during the night, any more than your smartphone would notify you that charging is complete. But if you really want to know the charging status when charging from AC, open the app and it will give you estimated time remaining. ( if you have good connection, don’t know why yours wasn’t.)

OK good to know.

Sounds like with low cell signal it wont work... even though I am connected to WIFI on both car and iPhone.

Now that its awake I can connect through the app through WIFI without issue. Only seems to be when it sleeps and I need to wake it from the app that I have the issue.

Yeah, I see this issue at my parent's house. They live in some Bermuda Triangle area where cell reception is about 1 bar no matter what provider and WiFi drops to roughly 3G speed (or less) outside of the room the router is in. It's not their equipment. I can't figure it out and they've got better networking gear than me.

My dad is gonna be pissed one morning when he's in a rush to go to work and the car won't wake up. I agree there needs to be some always on option for people who don't want to wait for the car to wake up.

I am now in good cell signal, at work. My car has been parked for 2 hours, so I thought I would try to connect.

Same problem, "waking up" in the app, eventually times out with "vehicle connection error"

Is this because the car is new and it takes x days to work properly? I can use the app on wifi fine, seems weird.

How long do you typically wait to "wake up"? Anything else I can check in the car settings that I need to enable?

Let's get all of the facts straight here.
When not in use, the car goes into a sleep mode by powering down the power hungry main computers and others parts of the car. The car does not completely power down. This is done to minimize current draw from the batteries, which in earlier releases seem to sometimes more than a person's commute.

When the car is in sleep mode, it is not completely asleep. Lots of computers are still on and listening and watching for things, one of those is indeed the system that handles cellular connectivity. I'm going to guess that it can perform a number of tasks without waking up the remainder of the car (such as downloading software), but when the information that the app needs is displayed, it has to start some other computers to get the information.

When you walk up to the car and it is asleep, it will respond relatively fast. Can you run to the car jump in and start driving on 3 seconds, I doubt it, but I don't remember ever having to really wait for the car. And it is as fast as ICE vehicles.

I just checked my car and from app start to information was only 20 seconds. If it is taking 2-3 minutes, that is indeed an indication that it may have a very weak cellular connection. If the open trunk command didn't work, that it a definite indication of cellular issues.

Remember that when the car is in a garage, behind a big metal plate, it just may not have great Internet connectivity. I suspect that this is one of the reasons why pushing the update to allow wireless connectivity was made.

Remember, that car doesn't really talk to the phone over Bluetooth. Bluetooth is mostly used by the security system. Most everything else is over cellular. And I remember a post from a while back of a guy going for a hike in the desert and locked his billfold in the car, but carried his phone. It at least helped him call for a tow. Even Tesla can't unlock a car if they can't talk to the car.

In general, get used to the car for a week or two, then come back.

Let's get all of the facts straight here.

When you walk up to the car and it is asleep, it will respond relatively fast. Can you run to the car jump in and start driving on 3 seconds, I doubt it, but I don't remember ever having to really wait for the car. And it is as fast as ICE vehicles.

I just checked my car and from app start to information was only 20 seconds. If it is taking 2-3 minutes, that is indeed an indication that it may have a very weak cellular connection. If the open trunk command didn't work, that it a definite indication of cellular issues.

Can I get in within 3 seconds in my ICE cars? Yes.

Does the Model 3 take 3 seconds? Hell no. Assuming it recognizes my phone the first time and unlocks, getting into the seat is the same as the ICE. However, after hitting the brake (which you can do as you sit down in one motion to save time), it takes a couple of seconds to start up. As others have reported, if you pull the shift lever too fast, it won't shift into D or R, and you waste a couple of seconds waiting for it to do its thing, before you can try again.

That's assuming two major things go perfectly. Which they often don't for me.

It doesn't recognize my phone. Out of the 5 times I got into the car to drive today, it recognized the phone (iPhone 7+) once. Had to use the card the others. That was a pain, as the first couple of times, I sat outside stabbing at my phone for a couple of minutes trying to get it to work. Then wasted another few minutes inside the car messing with the phone/app. I eventually gave up and just used the card. Next couple of times I waited a few seconds, and just went straight to the card rather than fiddling with the app.

The other major assumption is that it starts up when it unlocks. It doesn't always. There have been several times where the car will unlock and I get in (with the phone), but it takes a good 20 seconds or so to wake up. Very annoying as it's super hot right now and I'm sitting in a really hot car with a black interior, waiting for the damn car to wake up and start the a/c. Eventually, I see the Tesla logo and everything turns on. But that wait is really annoying and it happens a decent amount of times.

Whether true keyless where I keep the fob in my pocket and hit the start button or unlock with the fob and stick the key in ignition, both my ICE cars are quicker and ALWAYS reliable in letting me get in and start everything up. We're actively looking for a single replacement for those two cars, but it's gonna be another ICE. I love the Tesla, but it's still incredibly buggy and isn't a total replacement for ICE yet. It still takes quite a bit of effort to do things an ICE car does reliably all the time with no extra effort (from unlocking and starting, to camping in the boonies).

@gambit48 Sounds like you need to get your car checked out at the SC. What you're describing is not the typical experience. My car recognizes my iPhone and wakes up pretty much instantly in 99% of cases.

I've asked. In a very polite way, I've been informed to turn bluetooth on and off and all the regular troubleshooting steps. People have been complaining about their phones not working for quite some time. I normally wouldn't care too much about a 20 second wait for the car to boot up, but as it's 105+ here in the summers, the car not waking up right away and turning on the a/c is a little annoying. I'm not in the habit of precooling my car yet as I'm typically quite busy right up until I can leave for my car.

I just bought a BMW to replace my other car. Can't go full EV garage yet. It's just not reliable enough on an everyday basis for me in 100% of situations. 85% of situations maybe, but an ICE car still has some appeal to me.