Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waking Up-What's "Normal?"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for some insight to the experience of others. I took delivery on my AWD on September 26th, and promptly gave it up for a week to the detailer. I've had it back for 6 days. But the weather has been pretty crappy this past week, so have avoided driving it much, as I wanted to give the ceramic coat an opportunity to cure some. So even though I have owned the car for over two weeks I haven't used/driven it much.

So here's my issue. My car sometimes doesn't like to wake up when I open the app. I will be in my house, and both the car and I will be connected to the WiFi. The app will spin and spin, and eventually time out. It can do this 5-6 times or more. Most times it will eventually wake up. Additionally, I will plug my car in when I park it in the garage, and it is scheduled to charge overnight. The charging always occurs. But the next day when I go to disconnect the charger the car is sleeping, and I can't get it to wake up by pressing the button on the charger handle. The only way I can get the car to wake up to disconnect the charger is to open the door. Additionally, if I park the car in the garage and don't hook it up to the charger right away, and then come back later in the evening to plug it in for the night it won't wake up to open the charge port door unless I open a door on the car.

My question is whether this is considered "normal" or am I having some sort of issue? Do others experience this, or does your car wake up when you press the charger handle button to wake it up?

Looking for some insight to the experience of others. I took delivery on my AWD on September 26th, and promptly gave it up for a week to the detailer. I've had it back for 6 days. But the weather has been pretty crappy this past week, so have avoided driving it much, as I wanted to give the ceramic coat an opportunity to cure some. So even though I have owned the car for over two weeks I haven't used/driven it much.

So here's my issue. My car sometimes doesn't like to wake up when I open the app. I will be in my house, and both the car and I will be connected to the WiFi. The app will spin and spin, and eventually time out. It can do this 5-6 times or more. Most times it will eventually wake up. Additionally, I will plug my car in when I park it in the garage, and it is scheduled to charge overnight. The charging always occurs. But the next day when I go to disconnect the charger the car is sleeping, and I can't get it to wake up by pressing the button on the charger handle. The only way I can get the car to wake up to disconnect the charger is to open the door. Additionally, if I park the car in the garage and don't hook it up to the charger right away, and then come back later in the evening to plug it in for the night it won't wake up to open the charge port door unless I open a door on the car.

My question is whether this is considered "normal" or am I having some sort of issue? Do others experience this, or does your car wake up when you press the charger handle button to wake it up?

What you seem to be seeing is a weak cellular signal. The car is not able to hear or respond to the connection. "Wakeup" is a misnomer on the app, it's actually more along the lines of connect.
Are you on a time of use rate? If not, just let it charge all the time. Are you disconnecting the charger to drive? or to just disconnect it? Leave it plugged in all the time.

It's a freaking car, get out and drive and enjoy it. Go put a dent in it so that you'll stop worrying about how pretty it is and drive the dang thing!!!

And yes, all you have to do is open the door to unlock the charger. It's asleep.

What you seem to be seeing is a weak cellular signal. The car is not able to hear or respond to the connection. "Wakeup" is a misnomer on the app, it's actually more along the lines of connect.
Are you on a time of use rate? If not, just let it charge all the time. Are you disconnecting the charger to drive? or to just disconnect it? Leave it plugged in all the time.

It's a freaking car, get out and drive and enjoy it. Go put a dent in it so that you'll stop worrying about how pretty it is and drive the dang thing!!!

And yes, all you have to do is open the door to unlock the charger. It's asleep.

Huh? Start out helpful and then move to the "It's a car stop worrying you idiot" mantra. I've noticed a marked increase in this kind of response to posts that are pretty benign and posters who are simply seeking information. Shutting down conversation is not helpful.

I would agree with the every now and then on the charge handle going to first. So I put my coffee in cup holder after opening the door. Then unplug car.

For me the car opens all the time now with phone which I am satisfied with. They are working on it. They have improved so much on my car in 10 months it's crazy. Couple more things to do.....

In regards to the behavior lately. Lots of repetitive questions from new members that are found in other areas of the forum. I find Google search topic with TMC forum in the topic is often better than internal search here.

Some might agree that the hug everyone M3 owner's club is an alternative. I find TMC entertaining and informative. Sometimes you got to have pour a little curdled cream before you get the sweet stuff in your coffee.

My car also seems to be firmly in its teenage years - it will not wake up when I want it to.

No LTE in the garage, but strong wifi. After more than one hour of being asleep, it wakes up from the app maybe 30% of the time. Also see the same behavior for the charge cable. You can either open a door, or open the app, verify the phone key is connected, open the charge menu, then unlock the charging cable.

• Funny
Reactions: Hank42
It have the same issue...sounds like we all do. The wake from sleep is a bit painful at times. Also seems like there is a deep sleep, as I get in the car and the screen will be black for over a minute before the T dimly appears and the system boots up.

I can live with this fine, but it would be nice to pull out the app and pre-heat/cool the car without the wake up waiting.
Still, it’s an amazing spaceship

Reactions: Hank42
I used to have the same problems with it being slow to wake via the app. However, once they came up with the update that allowed me to connect the car to Wi-Fi, it's not been a problem. I suspect the problem was the poor cell reception in my garage and at work.
As to disconnecting the charge cable, simply reach to the door handle of the rear driver's side door. You can reach it from where you'd stand to unplug the charge cable. Then press the fat part of the handle just enough to unlock the car. There's a point where you can hear it unlock the car, but before it pops the door open. Now you can disconnect the charge cable without having to deal with opening and closing the door. The first few times you might push too far and open the rear door, but soon you'll be able to hit the sweet spot every time.

Once the car goes to sleep, the Wi-Fi turns off. If you do not have good cellular connection (or even a decent connection), the car can not receive the signal to wake up. Once it does wake up, the Wi-Fi will connect again so the cellular connection is not important once it wakes.

Reactions: outdoors
I used to have the same problems with it being slow to wake via the app. However, once they came up with the update that allowed me to connect the car to Wi-Fi, it's not been a problem. I suspect the problem was the poor cell reception in my garage and at work.
As to disconnecting the charge cable, simply reach to the door handle of the rear driver's side door. You can reach it from where you'd stand to unplug the charge cable. Then press the fat part of the handle just enough to unlock the car. There's a point where you can hear it unlock the car, but before it pops the door open. Now you can disconnect the charge cable without having to deal with opening and closing the door. The first few times you might push too far and open the rear door, but soon you'll be able to hit the sweet spot every time.

Yeah, it's definitely not a weak signal issue for me. I have a 3 bar cell signal in the garage, and a 5x5 WiFi signal. And the driver's side rear door handle trick is what I have been doing. I was just wondering whether what I was experiencing was normal behavior. It just seems a little kludgy. With all of the whiz bang stuff on this car, including the cool feature of opening the charge port door with the charger handle I just figured that Tesla would have the programming in place to wake the car up when my phone is in proximity, and I push the charger handle button. Thanks.

About as helpful as tits on a boar hog.

You answered no question I asked. You ignored what I had said. You asked questions that weren't relevant. And I don't need your advice on when to drive my car. Thanks, I suppose.

Yeah, it's definitely not a weak signal issue for me. I have a 3 bar cell signal in the garage, and a 5x5 WiFi signal. And the driver's side rear door handle trick is what I have been doing. I was just wondering whether what I was experiencing was normal behavior. It just seems a little kludgy. With all of the whiz bang stuff on this car, including the cool feature of opening the charge port door with the charger handle I just figured that Tesla would have the programming in place to wake the car up when my phone is in proximity, and I push the charger handle button. Thanks.

Tesla has a balance issue here. They have to have the best of both worlds. Some people want absolutely no vampire drain, yet have the car be always on. Sometimes we hear strange noises of connectors connecting on the car as it wakes up or is going to sleep. All in the name of battery management. Car will open via the bluetooth, yet my thought is the charge port is not connected to the bluetooth. Therefore for the car to release charging handle it has to be awake or in the waking up process.

Personally I prefer range loss to be at lowest possible over instant on. I am never in a hurry. Many of the accidents I know about occur while people where in a hurry. So I don't need to jump in my car to go quickly save the world.