Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want to swap 2018 Model X 22" turbine wheels for 20"s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am going to assume that you have and want to stick with OEM Tesla wheels and tires. If you have/want aftermarket wheels/tires, adjust these recommendations accordingly.

I am not an expert on this. But I think you'll ultimately find it easier to buy a 20" wheel-tire set (first) and later sell your 22" wheel-tire set separately. Building a wheel-set out of individually-purchased wheels, tires, lug-nuts, lug-nut covers, TPMS sensors, and center caps adds to the total cost. Try to buy a complete, low-mileage wheel-set.

In California in 2021, almost-new/used 22s with close to no wear (very low mileage) would sell (in the metropolitan areas) for around $3,200 (give or take). (Yes, I know they were like $5,000 to add to the car at the time of purchase, or $6,500 to buy separately from Tesla online. But the reality was that due to high markup by Tesla you normally couldn't get that much for them in California last year.) Almost-new 20" wheel-tire sets might go for half that (~$1,600), or less, depending on condition. Try to be patient and get wheels/tires with lowest mileage. Inspect the hell out of any used wheels/tires you buy and be prepared to walk away from any problems (punctures, plugs, uneven tread wear, sidewall damage, rim damage, missing or old TPMS sensors, etc.). Even low mileage wheel sets can pick up punctures and rim damage. And of course be sure you get wheels that include low mileage, genuine Tesla tire pressure sensors and the chrome lug-nut covers and silver center caps. (I suggest that you include all that stuff, which will be dark-colored, when you sell your 22's.)

For example, after first arranging a trade (that fell through), that is what I eventually did. I took my 22's off immediately after I picked up the new 2021 MX car in March (with 15 miles on odometer; it was an inventory car). A month earlier I had been lucky and had found a virtually new set of stock silver Tesla 20's for sale in another nearby city. In April/May I sold the dark 22's to a happy X driver in my home town.

Use Craig's List (or this site) to look for 20" wheel-sets and to sell your 22s. Start early and wait for the right deal. (There are lots of people selling used tires with wear, puncture, curb damage, etc.) I'd avoid eBay since prices are often too high, you can't inspect wheel-sets before purchase, used tires frequently have plugs, and shipping is expensive. You may have to widen the scope of your search and be willing to drive a ways to get that perfect wheel-set. I know from experience that trying to arrange a trade adds tons of extra complications and can be fraught with peril. (Not peril really, but it can easily go south if anyone changes their mind or there is a problem when you hook up to make the exchange.) Buying 20s first (a set of four wheels-tires will fit inside the Model X), then selling your 22s involves more time but is easiest and most simple. It takes a lot of the stress out of the whole process.

When you remove the 22s, be sure to use caution not to scratch the rims (which is easy to do--they are heavy). Wrap them protectively during (temporary) storage and sell them as quickly as possible.

Good luck.