Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wet floor on Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I have 2016 Tesla Model S. I took it to car wash, after car wash I found front driver and passenger side floor was wet. I dried it but I noticed again a puddle when it rained last weekend.
I am sure it is not AC water. Because my car was just sitting outside without AC on and floors got wet.
I am also sure windows were properly closed.
I took it to Tesla service center for initial visual inspection. They said they need to look at it in detail and I have to leave car there for a day or two.
I see this problem was posted by many people. Can someone tell me if their problem was resolved? What was the cause? What was the solution? Did Tesla fixed it under warranty?
Please share your experience.

Hi All,

I have 2016 Tesla Model S. I took it to car wash, after car wash I found front driver and passenger side floor was wet. I dried it but I noticed again a puddle when it rained last weekend.
I am sure it is not AC water. Because my car was just sitting outside without AC on and floors got wet.
I took it to Tesla service center for initial visual inspection. They said they need to look at it in detail and I have to leave car there for a day or two.
I see this problem was posted by many people. Can someone tell me if their problem was resolved? What was the cause? What was the solution? Did Tesla fixed it under warranty?

Does your car have the Pano roof? If so that’s the most likely culprit.

Reactions: cptnslo
I always take my car to a touchless car wash and they have me ride the car through. Occasionally a jet of water seems to hit the corner of the driver or passenger side window just right and a little water forces it's way inside. It's only enough to see on the inside of the door and I've never been too concerned about it. Sounds like it might be way more in your case? I'd be interested to know what Tesla does. They might replace the seals around the windows.

Hi All,

Exactly same issue here. Dec 2016 Model S. Full Glass roof. Wet carpets on both driver and passenger side. Took it to Tesla service yesterday without appointment. Initially they thought it was the AC line but upon inspection they said it is not. I scheduled an appointment so that they can run a "full water test" (or something like that). I will report back in about two weeks.

It should be definitely covered under warranty...

I have a 2013 I have a mobile appointment next week . So here’s the story a couple of weeks ago my car started smelling real bad I thought the kids or somebody spilled something and it got rotten I have the car cleaned found out that the floor by the passenger side driver had a real bad smell so cleaned the car. two or three weeks later started smelling it again.so called Tesla to set an appointment they said 95% chance it’s the air-conditioner
I have rubber mats and I have a panel sunroof but if it was leaking from the sunroof rubber mats would’ve caught the water
So basically what I was told is That the air conditioner compressor line to drain the water sometimes breaks in the water could end up anywhere on the floor in the interior so this might be your problem too

Update: Brought the car in for scheduled "Water Test" on Oct 16 (they gave me a Tesla loaner). They kept the car for a full week. They said they found a small leak in the passenger front area of the windshield. They replaced the windshield (actually JN Phillips did). Invoice says they water tested again after the windshield replacement and no more leaks found. Got the car back today. We will see how it goes.

Everything covered under warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: Buster1
Any updates on this?

A few days ago I was driving (2016 Model S 70D) and listening to some music and the driver's side a-pillar tweeter stopped working.
So, naturally I opened the Tesla app and scheduled a mobile service appointment.

Then, yesterday I was vacuuming and felt water in the carpet of the drivers floorboard.
Upon disassembling the lower panels I found a significant amount of water.
I have WeatherTech floor mats. So, it couldn't have come from above the floor board area.
Here is a video:

My guess is that it came through the windshield or the pano roof and ran down the pillar area, possible shorting the speaker in the process.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Mobile service was set to come tomorrow to look at the speaker, but I am wondering if a trip to the service center will be in order.

Have you seen this discussion? If you have sunroof then you might have these draining tubes clogged and the tube disengaged. There might also be possibility that one of the windshield lower corner does not have proper cover on the body and that can be the issue.

Edit: found the post with clear photos of the drain tubes at A-pillar.

Last edited: