Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are the comparable vehicles to Tesla models?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What would you say is the comparable make and model to the different models of Tesla vehicles? For example, the Tesla Model S is a full-size luxury sedan comparable to a BMW Series 7 or Porche Panamera. Would you say that is a fair comparison? And what about the Model X, Model 3 and Model Y?

I dont use large language models much, but this is the perfect type question for one of those. Try asking the large language model of your choice "what vehicle class is a Tesla (insert model)? It should tell you (for example, for the model 3) "the Tesla model 3 is a compact luxury sedan". Then ask "what other vehicles are compact luxury sedans?"

I dont use large language models much, but this is the perfect type question for one of those. Try asking the large language model of your choice "what vehicle class is a Tesla (insert model)? It should tell you (for example, for the model 3) "the Tesla model 3 is a compact luxury sedan". Then ask "what other vehicles are compact luxury sedans?"
I actually did this with Bard and Bing and got different answers. For example, the Model S was compared to both the BMW Series 5 and Series 7.

What would you say is the comparable make and model to the different models of Tesla vehicles? For example, the Tesla Model S is a full-size luxury sedan comparable to a BMW Series 7 or Porche Panamera. Would you say that is a fair comparison?

Not exactly.
MS is more inline with 5-series or E-series. It's nowhere close to 7-/S- in terms of size and luxury.
In EV space, EQE, Taycan, or eTron-GT would be massive upgrades in interior and luxury.
Lucid Air would be an upgrade to MS in everything: interior and exterior quality, technology, and performance.

TM3 is more inline with 3-/C-series.
In EV space, lots more competitors from PoleStar, Kia, Hyundai, Audi, VW, etc.

And what about the Model X, Model 3 and Model Y?

Tons more comparable for Model Y, but I'm not an SUV guy, so I don't track them.

Basically, EV market has matured, and you have lots of options now.
For depreciation reasons alone, I would very leery of buying another Tesla.

a

In production and technical design Tesla does not have any competitors, maybe BYD. Tesla is far ahead of all the others. Legacy automakers do offer better build quality (though Tesla has improved considerably), with more familiar driver UI's, but the underlying technology is years behind.

Many people choose the more conventional UI designs, and are oblivious to the underlying production and technical deficiencies. Many of those people choose Hyundai/Kia/Genesis or Polestar EVs, some BMWs. It seems most consumers are (rightly) mostly rejecting GM, Ford, VW/Audi/Porsche, Nissan and Mercedes EVs so far. Toyota and Honda are non existent.

Buddy of mine has an Ioniq 5. Well built but it's pretty primitive/conventional compared to a Tesla, and he paid a lot more than a Model Y and gets no tax credit. He paid $12.5K more than I did after tax credit, and has less room, range and efficiency. He chose the Ioniq because his wife despises Elon...

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
In production and technical design Tesla does not have any competitors, maybe BYD. Tesla is far ahead of all the others. Legacy automakers do offer better build quality (though Tesla has improved considerably), with more familiar driver UI's, but the underlying technology is years behind.

Pretty clueless position to take.
Go test drive Lucid Air, and see who is years behind in underlying technology, build quality, handling, and ergonomics.

Hint, it's definitely not Lucid!

a

Pretty clueless position to take.
Go test drive Lucid Air, and see who is years behind in underlying technology, build quality, handling, and ergonomics.

Hint, it's definitely not Lucid!

a
Clueless?

I don't necessarily disagree, but so far Lucid is a niche player at best, and they lost an astonishing $430,000 per car in Q3. I couldn't recommend anyone consider a Lucid yet, but they may well turn into a competitor. Lucid Lost $430,000 For Every Car It Sold In Q3.

I acknowledged Tesla is behind on build quality, so you're misrepresenting what I posted.

So which of the makes that I did mention is technically equal to a Tesla?